Chapter 33: Midnight Conversations

Start from the beginning

"Sure." He replies.

"Will your ego be hurt if I ever end up earning more than you?"

"Why are you asking that?"

"I asked for an answer and not a question in return." I shoot back.

"I don't think I will ever have a problem. I get it, males get an ego boost knowing they are earning more than their significant others but I don't mind. I mean even if you are earning more, it would just mean more resources for us, right?" I give him a nod.

"How come you aren't sleeping? I mean it's so late afterall."

"Does late time mean I should be asleep?" I question back.

"You know what I mean, Maira."

"I just couldn't. I don't know why."

"Is it because I was in the room next to yours and you wanted to see me? I mean I know I am irresistible-"

I fake a loud cough cutting him in between. "Umm... irresistible who? You? Did you not hear me a while back when I was talking to Armaan?" I shoot back.

"Oh, Maira I know you only agreed to marrying me because I have this irresistible body."

"Ah, is that the only reason you agreed to marry me? I mean, if it is, either you are blind or you need to get your eyes checked. I don't have the irresistible body you are-"

"Maira, why do you demean yourself?"

"I don't."

"Well, what are you doing right now?"

"Stating the facts."

"No, you are mocking yourself for not fitting into the society's standard."

"Alas! We agree I don't fit into society's beauty standards."

"Yes, because the Indian society has a pathetic way of assessing beauty."

"Tell me about it."

"But Maira, I don't give a damn about society's beauty standards, all I care is that I know you are one of the most beautiful people I have come across, inside and out."

"I know people who will disagree with you."

"I don't care about it."

"Jai, I am not this nice humane person, you think I am. I am literally a person who people are scared to come across. I am the rudest and the most arrogant person, who is selfish enough to get her way with things. I don't care about others' feelings, I am impatient and get angry at small things, I argue a lot, I also can be very opinionated and judgemental at times even if I don't want to. I am just a ruthless lawyer and the biggest coward you will ever come across-" i am cut off before I can list other things that are wrong with me.

"From where do you come up with such thought?" He gapes at me.

"Well, certainly not on my own." I reply bitterly remembering what all I have been called.

He gets up from him seat and sits on his knees in front of me.

"Maira, please don't let what others think about you get to you like ever. It is never good to listen to people who aren't even close to you."

"What if it's the people close to you who make you feel worthless?"

"Then they aren't the people you wanna be close to."