44

'I-' I barge into Zane's office in a hurry, knowing I was late once again. But my words immediately stop at my lips as I notice another older looking man sitting across from him.

'Did you just get in?' He inquires as both faces turn to me.

'Yeah... Sorry. I-' I attempt to explain myself again but get disrupted by him.

'It's okay.' He nods, the look in his eyes calming me instantly.

'Who's that?' The man in front of his interrupts.

'Milan, my assistant.' Zane answers. 'This is Stan Richard, he's a friend of my fathers.' He introduces as I greet him with a smile... Which he didn't happen to return.

'Can I get a cup of coffee?' The man requests with little interest in at least giving me a 'hello'.

'Sure...' I agree knowing I didn't have much choice anyways. 'What about you, Zane?' My eyes move to him instead, his lips curling into a smirk as he hears me call his name for the first time.

'I'm good, thanks.' He responds as I step out of the room, heading for the kitchen to get the cup of coffee as requested.

As I patiently wait for the beverage to make itself, I couldn't help but grin as I thought back to the way Zane had just smiled... Even the simplest curl of his lips was contagious enough to make me smile minutes later.

I quickly make my way back as soon as the mug fills with the coffee, entering the office once again as I hand the man his drink.

'I'm gonna' go back to my-' I begin to announce before Stan lets out a sudden shriek.

'What is this!?' He snaps, his eyes glaring towards me. Both Zane and I were taken back by his sudden outburst. 'It's disgusting!'

I look in his direction, confused as to what he thought this was. Do I look like a fucking barista?

'Um, I can get you another-' I suggest but my attempt was drawn short.

'How about you get it right the first time!' He yells into the room, only making my fists curl tighter as he screams into my face. This man was neither my boss or my dad so who the fuck does he think he's yelling at.

'I-' I begin to defend myself but didn't get a chance to finish as Zane intervenes.

'...Don't fucking talk to her like that.' He speaks as his fist bangs against the desk. 'You want a better tasting coffee? Go make one yourself.'

Zane's tone only raises with each word and in all honesty, I didn't expect him to defend me at all. And by the looks of it, neither did the man opposite him.

'Zane... I'm sure you wouldn't want your father hearing about this.' His words sound like a threat of some sort.

'I'm a grown ass man, Stan. I don't give a fuck what my dad has to say.' He sighs, throwing his head back into the seat. 'Just get out.'

'What?' The man looks to him in disbelief.

'You heard me.'

And just like that, the man was out the doors but not before giving me a look of spite on his exit.

'Why did you do that...?' I look to Zane who still had his head thrown over the edge of his chair.

'Why do you think?' His head lifts in my direction, looking up to me lazily.

'Well that's why I'm asking you.' I inch closer to him, leaning onto the chair the man was sitting in only a few moments ago.

'Because no one can yell at you like that apart from me.' He winks playfully before erupting with laughter as he notices my heated cheeks. 'I'm messing with you, Milan.'