31

I begin to make my way up through the elevator, making sure I wasn't late this time around. Instead, I end up coming thirty minutes earlier, giving me enough time to prepare for the meetings today. And with Zane not in yet, I could find some time alone without any bother.

But my thoughts were cut short as I see his tall, intimidating figure pass by my office windows, completely ignoring the fact that I was here.

I groan, my mood dropping instantly from just his distant presence alone as I carry on with my preparations. He had a last minute meeting planned for today which I had to make sure everything was perfect for. From the major details down to the smallest misplaced letter. And especially with the idea he already had of me, I really couldn't mess this one up.

An hour passes by of me scanning through the documents like a hawk, making sure every possible mistake was extinct. And once I was finally satisfied with my work, I make my way over to his office to present the files he needed.

But before I even had a chance to open the door myself, the handles twist on its own, revealing the one and only Zane Forbes himself, standing by the door as if he had somewhere to go.

'Milan.' He nods his head in greeting.

'Your files.' I hand them over before turning away, not wanting to voluntarily wait around... Especially after the last encounter I had with him in this office.

'Wait.' He latches onto my wrist, pulling me back slightly as he stops me in my tracks. I look back, his eyes taking a quick scan through the documents before his eyes meet mine.

'I'm impressed.' He lets a small smirk slip, his grip loosening as I turn to face him completely. 'You're coming with me today.' He suddenly informs, my brows lifting in surprise from his statement.

'What? Why? I don't usually come with you to meetings.' I inquire, not sure with the unexpected change of plans. Usually, Zane preferred to attend his meetings alone which I was fine with since it gave me some free time in the office.

'Because I said so. Now I suggest you get ready, we're leaving in five minutes.' He bluntly advices, turning back into the depths of his office as the door slams in my face.

'Great... Even. More. Work.' I complain, dragging my feet back to the office as I collect my things before returning to Zane's. He was already stood outside, his back towards me with a phone to his ear.

He notices my arrival, not bothering to give me much acknowledgment before setting off for the elevator, expecting me to follow close behind which I had no choice but to do.

'Yeah, okay. I don't care, Sebastian.' I overhear him on the phone, my eyes widening. Just after those words, I notice his reflection through the grey metal surrounding us hanging up the phone. He crosses his arms over his chest as he leans back, patiently waiting for the elevator to land.

Sebastian... I almost forgot that he ran this business with Zane. He was right after all, I rarely ever saw him, just like he said I wouldn't, and that's how I preferred it. Everything seemed so much easier that way, and as annoying as Zane may be, I'd choose to work for him over Sebastian any day.

The elevator doors open, Zane standing up straight as he leaves the elevator before me, my feet trailing after him once again. He steps out of the building, stopping in his tracks as he realises the rainy weather outside, me noticing soon after. I pause for a minute, looking down at my clothing which definitely wouldn't last a second under the harsh beads of rain.

Zane also seems to notice, looking back at me with sighing eyes.

'Come here.' He groans, pulling me to his side as my head presses against his chest. The blazer that sat against his body was now being used to shield my head from the droplets as he guides me through the rain. I really wasn't in a position to protest against his gesture. I had no umbrella or coat, only a purse and sheets of paper that couldn't risk getting wet.

He guides me in the direction of the car, opening the door as I let myself in, him also doing the same soon after. He sighs, falling into his seat with his outfit completely soaked by the rain. The curls in his hair barely made it through as they hung loosely over the sides of his head whilst I sat there, nothing but dry.

'Thank you.' I conceal my laugh with my head hung low but also slightly feeling guilty for sitting here in warm, dry clothes while he sat in his damp ones.

He sees through my poor attempt at hiding my chuckles, eventually giving in and laughing alongside me. He looks down at the state of himself as our laughter begins to merge into one.

'Are you gonna walk in like that?' I point to his outfit, raising a brow as my eyes look up to his.

'I have no choice, do I?' He shrugs, patting against the suit as if that would help anything. 'We'll be late if I stop to change anyway.'

'Can I ask you something?' I breath out, finally building up the courage to confront him.

'You mentioned Sebastian on the phone...' I start hesitantly. 'What was that about, if you don't mind me asking?'

'I just told him I was bringing my assistant to the meeting.' He explains, brushing it off as if it were nothing.

'I-Is he going to be there?' I question, hoping the answer would be anything but yes.

'Yes.'

'Is that why you wanted me to come along?' My mind jumps to assumptions, irritation in my tone as my fingers clench against my palm. 'Is this some stupid attempt to piss Sebastian off. Because it's-'

He laughs in amusement, as if he weren't taking me seriously at all. 'To piss Sebastian off? What would I be gaining from that?'

I wasn't sure how to answer him... What would he be gaining from that? I stare at him blankly, his watch also on me as nothing but silence filled the air.

'Oh and Milan,' His eyes scan me once more before smashing his palm against the window besides me, his figure only leaning in closer until his face was only mere inches away from mine. 'don't ever think of talking to me like that again.' He warns, his eyes locked on mine.

'S-Sorry...' I gulp nervously, regretting my previous words after witnessing his threatening gaze.

He backs away slowly, adjusting himself in his seat as the driver notifies us on our destination. We both step out of the vehicle, the rain much more gentle this time as we make our way into the building.

It seemed like Zane already knew the place well as he manages to easily manoeuvre through the building with no hassle. I could only guess that this was where Sebastian had claimed to be working all those weeks ago.

We both stop outside a door, presumably the meeting room, the nerves in the pit of my stomach only worsening by the second as he pushes the door open.

——————————————

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Also follow my Instagram
(@ miraa.stories )