'You're unbelievable...' I purse my lips, holding back the stir of emotions within me.

'Why aren't you asleep?' He brushes my statement off entirely, making a question of his own.

'Who the fuck were you talking to?' My body trembled in fear of his answer, wanting him to say anything at all to make my mind stop spinning with answers of its own.

'You're listening in on my phone calls now?' He furrows his brows, brushing past me as he walks to the staircase.

'Why don't you just tell me who you were talking to?' I turn around, not bothering to chase after him like before.

'Because I don't need to.' He remarks, not caring to look back at me as he slams the door of the guest room shut.

———

I wake in discomfort, barely getting a wink of sleep last night but that didn't change the fact that I still had a day of work ahead. I walk out of the bedroom, heading first for the guest room to see if Emilio was still here but as I expected, he was already gone.

Whipping the hair out of my face in irritation, I turn back to the room, getting myself dressed as I try to keep Emilio out of mind. I've already lost enough sleep over him.

Ready for the day ahead but not exactly in the best mood for it, I get into my car, setting it into drive as I make the journey over to the office.

My car settles in a spot close by, taking the key out of the slot before stepping out. From a distance my eye catches onto the sight of Zane, his car emerging close to mine before he also steps out.

'Good morning, Mr Forbes.' I smile over to him, seeing as his window was slightly rolled down. He completely ignores my friendly gesture, choosing to not acknowledge my existence until he was out of the car.

'You're not late, I see.' He grins playfully before nodding in the direction of the building. 'Let's go.'

'It was a one time thing.' I roll my eyes, remembering the incident from a few days ago.

'Good. That's what I like to hear.' He offers me a look of approval, looking back to me with what seemed like a smirk.

We both step into the elevator side by side as I notice my reflection staring back at me. My hair looked a complete mess. I groan in realisation, attempting to fix the out-of-place strands scattered across the top of my head, only adding to the ridiculous look.

'What are you doing?' Zane looks to me in confusion, observing my dreadful attempt to fixing my hair.

'My hair!' I continue to pat the top of my head, a tinge of realisation hitting me as to how ridiculous I probably look to my boss right now.

'Here. Let me help.' He proposes, stepping in front of me as his hands mess with the top of my head. I look up to him, not expecting him to ever make such an offer since he always seemed to have a cold demeanour to him, but I let him help me out since I wasn't doing much myself.

My attention falls on his intense eye to detail, making sure not a strand was out of place as his fingers smoothed through my hair. The gentle graze of his palm against my head lit up a feeling I had no clue existed. Maybe it was the nerves playing up since this was all so unlike him, either way, it didn't feel right.

I tore away from his touch, straightening myself out as I awkwardly adjust my stance. 'Thank you.' I quickly let out, before turning the opposite direction.

The elevator doors finally open as I make sure to be the first one out. I zoom to the doors of my office, entering the room in a rush before closing the doors firmly behind me.

'That was strangely nice...' I brush the situation out of mind, sitting down by my desk as I bury my head into the first thing I could find.

An hour passes by of continuous work, sighing out loud in deep need of a break. I push myself away from the desk, heading for the kitchen to go make myself a coffee of some sort until I remember how Zane may also want one of his own.

I turn back around, moving in the direction of his office before letting myself in.

'Would you like a coffee?' I ask upon entrance, his head lifting from the work in front of him.

'Sure.' He accepts, throwing his head over the edge of the chair in exhaust.

'Are you okay?' I hesitantly question, not being able to read whether he wanted me out of sight or not.

'I'm fine, just a shit ton of work.' He bluntly explains, a light chuckle escaping my lips.

'Well, I'll be right back with you're coffee then.' I smile, resuming my trip to the kitchen.

I quickly prepare a mug for the both of us, filling it up with the warm coffee before making my way back in a course of minutes.

'Here you go.' I bring the mug down to his reach.

'Thank you.' He takes the mug out of my hand, placing it carefully at his side. Taking my cue to leave, I turn around, my hand already on the door.

'Wait-' He abruptly declares as I take a quick look back at him. 'Stay for a bit.' He suggests, beckoning me over with a small movement of his head.

'Aren't you a bit busy?' My eyes trace down to the stack of files as he follows my gaze.

'It can wait.' His eyes remain on me, waiting for me to take a seat. I wasn't sure whether to just decline his offer but in all honesty I was intrigued by his change in attitude towards me. It seemed so odd which only ignited a curiosity within me.

'I know I've been harsh on you, I just hate things being-' 

'Messy?' I finish his sentence, laughing as he nods in agreement.

'I want to ask you about something.' I state, leaning closer to his desk.

'About?' His arms fold over his chest, leaning further into his seat.

'Sebastian.'

——————————————

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Also follow my Instagram
(@ miraa.stories )