19: Blind, Stupid Luck

A/N: Oops. I guess my hand slipped and accidentally updated this book til the end? 👀 Happy reading y'all!! 😌

•••

Jennie was booing loudly with the rest of the crowd. A very obvious foul was completely ignored by the refs and one of Lisa's teammates was on the ground in pain. The game had been pretty brutal, especially in this second half with only ten minutes left. Columbia was up by one point and it was obvious their opponents were getting desperate. It was starting to look like a blood bath out there and it was pissing Jennie off by the minute.

She could see how frustrated Lisa was getting, as well. She was very passionate about the game and as captain, she was very protective of her fellow teammates. And right now, she was arguing with the ref, who was giving her a warning to back off. She did so, but Jennie could tell she was upset.

Jennie kind of wished Seulgi or Jisoo were here. It was much easier to watch Lisa's games with someone there to go through all the stress with her. But for today, she was Lisa's one-woman cheer squad. She was even wearing one of Lisa's old jerseys with her number on it. It was a little bit tight on her, but she didn't think Lisa would mind since it made her boobs look spectacular.

Finally, the injured player got up and the game continued amongst applause from the crowd. But the other team still refused to let up with their aggressive defending. Jennie watched as Columbia got possession of the ball. The mid-fielder sent it up the line to Lisa, who turned and had a clear path towards the goal. Suddenly, a defender came out of nowhere and slide tackled her, completely missing the ball and clipping Lisa's foot, instead. This sent her flying, landing hard on her right side. The crowd gasped and Jennie stood up, waiting to see if Lisa was moving. A whistle blew and the ref pulled out a red card against the defender. Everyone in the stands cheered except for Jennie. Her heart was pounding as she kept her eyes on Lisa. She watched as her girlfriend rolled onto her back, wincing in pain and grabbing her arm, then grabbing her ribs.

Jennie instantly ran down the bleachers to the sidelines. She wanted to run to her girlfriend, but knew that would have been a bit over-dramatic and probably would have embarrassed the hell out of Lisa. She just wanted to make sure she was okay. She watched as the trainer and team doctor ran to Lisa's aid. Everything was silent. All she could hear was Lisa groaning in pain, then her commanding voice telling her coach she was fine. She waved them off and tried to get up, but struggled. They had to help her as she hobbled off the pitch. With five minutes left in the game, the coach had to put in someone else as Lisa was escorted to the locker room. Jennie knew her girlfriend was going to be pissed and was going to want to keep playing.

She followed at a safe distance as they made their way to the locker room, listening to Lisa's protests.

"I'm fine. There's only a few minutes left. Let me at least take the shot!"

"Calm down, Manoban. You're injured. We have to make sure you're okay."

Lisa fought valiantly, but in the end, she doubled over in pain. Jennie's heart wrenched as she watched them disappear into the locker room. All she could do now was wait.

•••

Jennie paced back and forth. It had been almost forty five minutes since Lisa was escorted off the field. In that time, she heard the cheering from the stands that told her they had won the game. She watched as each of Lisa's teammates hurried off to the locker room to check on the status of their captain, with quite a few of them giving Jennie a sympathetic head nod or an encouraging pat on her shoulder telling her Lisa would be okay.