6: Can't Sleep

A couple days later, Lisa was back and Jennie joined her on their morning run. She didn't tell Lisa, but she kept up her running while she was away. She decided she liked the way it made her feel. She felt more energized and she wanted to work on her endurance so she wouldn't have to keep slowing Lisa down, no matter how much the other girl tells her it's okay.

"So how was the beach?"

"Beautiful. Warm. I wasn't there very long, but I enjoyed it. It was nice to see Seulgi again."

"I'm gonna have to meet this girl."

"Interestingly enough, she says the same about you."

Jennie felt a pang of excitement. "So you told her about me."

"Don't let it go to your head, Jennie. But yes, I may have mentioned you."

"And what did you tell her about me?"

"I told her I have a pain in the ass neighbor who keeps insisting on going running with me no matter how much it slows me down."

"Ouch."

"I may have also told her that you're really pretty and kind of cool."

"And then she demanded to see what I looked like?"

"Yes. That's why I asked for the picture."

"And what was her response?" Jennie knew she was playing with fire. She was very obviously fishing, but she didn't care. Seulgi was someone obviously important to Lisa, so it was important that she made a good impression with her.

"She said you're all right."

"Just all right? Damn, I knew I should have sent a better photo."

Lisa grinned at her. "Okay, so she didn't say that. But I refuse to tell you her exact response. Something tells me you're just looking for compliments. I refuse to give you what you want."

Jennie was feeling playful. And frighteningly bold. "Funny, you didn't seem to refuse to give me what I wanted the other day."

She couldn't believe she said it. They so rarely ever discussed whey they did in their bedrooms. It was sort of an unspoken rule, but Jennie was on a high from all this flirting, so she took a chance. And instead of waiting for a response, she took off running ahead of Lisa, determined to beat her home.

The race was close and Jennie could feel her legs start to give out, but she kept on going, refusing to slow down until she reached her driveway. She made it first by a split second and thoroughly enjoyed the stunned look on Lisa's face. They stood there, hands on their knees, trying to catch their breath.

"Unreal." Lisa was clearly in denial.

"No. Not unreal. That actually happened." Jennie really liked gloating.

Lisa shook her head. "You had a head start."

"YOU have years of training. Really, I expected more from you."

If it weren't for the smile she was trying to fight, Lisa would have appeared to be fuming. Jennie watched as the brunette took a few steps closer to her. She was finally able to regulate her breathing while Jennie was still panting pretty heavily.

"Jennie."

"Yeah?"

She watched as Lisa shuffled her feet and looked to the ground. It was downright adorable.

Lisa cleared her throat. "I've really been enjoying our runs."

"Me too."

She cleared her throat again. "And I'd like to maybe see if you'd be available to hang out with me again in a non-exercise capacity."