"uhh, my mom died...." remarked ishita, as she sensed the awkwardness to follow.

"ok, kabhi socha nahi tha what's up se itna dark answer aa sakta hai...." commented dushyant, as ishita chuckled lightly.

"i am really sorry though, tumhe kitna confusing lag raha hoga na..." comforted dushyant.

"it's very strange, i used to think my life will get better without her....but now i feel guilty for thinking of her as an evil monster my whole life!" blurted ishita, surprising herself with how she just said what she was thinking out loud, without any thought.

"ishita, unhone tum pe woh tel chidak diya tha jismein woh pudiyan tal rahi thi....you were only seven!" recounted dushyant.

"jaan-bujh ke nahi karti thi dushyant, you know i found her old diary, she used to be so happy, and then she just, saw life just, fall apart....i don't know if i should hate her or blame her..." expressed ishita her inner dilemma.

"you know, even my mom showed up after five years, maafi maang rahi hai, chahti hai main unse baat karun...i mean tum ek raat bina-bataye bhaag gayi bas, aur phit tum paanch saal baad aa kar sochti ho main tumhari baat sununga." Complaint dushyant.

"you know dushyant, i think you should." Advised ishita.

"excuse me?"

"dushyant, i would give the world, to just have my mom for once tell me, ki woh mujhe hurt nahi karna chahti thi, and unka apne upar kabhi itna control hi nahi tha ki woh apni unn galtiyon ko rok payein." Argued ishita.

"you have your mother coming to you with realization and guilt, maaf na hi sahi, atleast unki baat toh sunlo!" protested ishita, as the anger dushyant had for his mother, was getting a hint of the fact that he had always wanted to know, why did she leave. 

                                                          ***

Dushyant came home that day with a new perspective on his mother, one that was ready to give her a fair chance at forgiveness and atleast, understanding. He unlocked the apartment, when he was patted on the shoulder by someone.

"seriously." Remarked dushyant with annoyance, as he saw who it was.

"dushyant, i have to tell you something." Said purvi.

"dekho, i.."

"it's about your mom." Stated purvi, as dushyant was all ears.

                                                         ***

Purvi was seated on the couch, right next to dushyant, in his living room.

"jiss raat tumhari maa bhaag gayi thi, woh mujhe mili thi..." recounted purvi, as she started to narrate that incident.

Purvi sat crying on the bus stop, hopeless about her situation, having no idea what to do. Suddenly, shivani, who was driving by, stopped her car in front of her.

"purvi?"she asked, after slidding down the window from the driver's seat.

Purvi ran to her, crying, unable to speak properly.

"i, killed him...." she stated, as shivani's gaze fell on the middle age man lying on the street.

"bache, aap please gaadi mein baitho abhi, main unhe dekhti hoon." Requested shivani, as purvi seated herself quietly.

Shivani checked the man's pulse, he was still alive. She quickly lifted his arm and placed it on her shoulder as she seated him on backseat.

"seatbelt lagalo." She commanded, as she did so herself, and started to drive.

"ek kaam karo, woh joh uska phone hai na haath mein, usse dekho koi number milta hai jisse hum contact kar sakte hain." She instructed as purvi found a number.

"yeh, i think uski wife ka hai..." said purvi, as meera signalled her to hand the phone to her.

"naam kya hai iska?" she questioned, as purvi took out his wallet from the pocket and took out the ID.

"anil ahuja." Replied purvi, as shivani dialled the number.

"ji, hello, uhmm, aap anil ahuja ko jaanti hai? Ji, unka accident ho gaya hai yahan sector 5 ki market ke paas. Haan, woh hum unhe city hospital leke jaa rahe hain, toh aap wahan pahaunch jaayi please. Ji, ji, ji." Said shivani while driving as she hung up.

"drunk driving?" questioned meera as purvi guiltily nodded.

"listen to me, yeh tumhari ek galti hai, ok. Look at that, he's still alive. Isse apni life destroy mat karne do. Galtiyon se life pe utna hi asar padta hai jitna hum padhne dete hain. Hmm?" she explained her, as purvi was starting to calm down.

"ab yeh lo paise, yahan se ek rikshaw leke ghar jao, main isse hospital leke jaa rahi hoon." Said shivani as she stopped the car, but purvi was reluctant to comply.

"don't worry, i'll drop him at the hospital and leave. The matter will finish there. Ok?" she explained as purvi nodded in agreement.

"now go!" she ordered as purvi got out, and before driving away, she said:

"kisi se, iss raat ka zikar mat karna, ok." 

                                                     *** 

author's note: so, that was the twist, and let's see how many of you can figure out another twist that is related to this one... 

all my stars lead to youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें