chapter 5

purvi entered to a surprisingly empty house. she looked around for her mother, who was nowhere to be seen. she walked past the nearest bedroom, living room, dinning room, kitchen and even the second bedroom, but to no avail. finally, it hit her, of what she had missed, the balcony. 

she rushed to the balcony, hoping her mother would be there, but found it to be locked from inside. she beat the door in frustration, as she saw her mother talking to someone on the phone with a smile on her face, only to hang up as soon as she realised about purvi's prescence. she quickly came out, and in the blink of an eye, closed the door behind her. 

"tum kab aayi?" asked anjula nervously. 

"bas abhi..." replied purvi as ordinarily as possible. 

"kiska phone tha?" questioned purvi, as she followed anjula to the kitchen. 

"arre woh, shikha massi..." replied anjula, as she microwaved the food for purvi. 

"unki beti germany jaa rahi thi, bataya tha na maine?" recalled anjula, as purvi nodded in agreement, assessing how far will she go with the lie. 

"chalo, tum khaalo khaana phir, moh haat dhoke..." said anjula, as she passed the plate to purvi in an unexplainable rush. 

meanwhile purvi wondered what made her mother lie to her face. 

                                                                  ***

kavin came to the living room after getting freshened up, only to find himself to be welcomed by satish, to his dismay. 

"aap..." blurted out kavin, as he looked at satish from top to the bottom. 

"haan, woh, main iss hi time ghar aata hoon....roz..." replied satish with discomfort.

kavin nodded in agreement, as the awkwardness between them grew tense. 

"tumhari mom, unhe zara, der ho jaayegi, aaj..." informed satish, as kavin sighed in disappointment. 

"waise, kaho toh chinese mangadoon dinner ke liye, tumhara favourite hai na?" suggested satish, as kavin raised his brow. 

"mom ne bataya hai aapko?" interrogated kavin. 

"arre, woh to bas..." tried explaining satish. 

suddenly, they were interrupted by the slam of  a door, and to no one's surprise, it was dushyant, just coming back. 

"arre, tum ab aaye ho?" asked satish, as he looked at the time and dushyant just glared at him in return. 

"main iss hi waqt aata hoon, meera ki tarah, par aapka dhyaan toh un par hoga..." replied dushyant, as satish shook his head. 

"phir shuru ho gaye tum?" retorted satish. 

"shuruat maine toh nahi ki thi..." remarked dushyant. 

"meera ki baarein mein aisa baat karna zaroori hai?" questioned satish. 

"kaise baat kar raha hoon main unke baarein mein?" asked dushyant. 

"usse meera kyun bulate ho?" 

"kyunki woh unka naam hai....shivani hota toh shivani bulata...waise aapko yaad bhi hai shivani kiska naam hai?" 

"dushyant....." 

"mom ka naam hai! aur wahi hamesha meri maa rahenge!" proclaimed dushyant, before he left for his room. 

satish sat down on the couch as he rubbed his forehead, and kavin took notice. 

"aap thik hain?" asked kavin, as satish looked upto him and nodded in agreement falsely. 

"zyaada bura mat maniye, yeh sab ke saath hi aisa hai..." assured kavin, as satish wheezed. 

"sabke saath nahi, shivani ke saamne toh kabhi nahi karta aisa kuch...sab baatein maanta tha uski, ek dum laadla tha uska!" reminisced satish. 

"bas, yeh 5 saalon mein itna badal gaya, kabhi-kabhi yakeen hi nahi hota mera beta hai....." continued satish, as he rubbed his eyes, and got upto kavin. 

"toh chinese mangaon?" asked satish, as he changed the topic and kavin nodded in agreement, as much as he  was unwelcoming to him, he had found some sympathy for the old man. 

one week in this house, and he had started to realise that he might not hate these people after all. 

                                                                   ***

sorry for the delay, here's the chapter, please tell me what you think about it in the comments and please, please vote, it really means a lot!