1

— Chapter One —

It first happened when they were promoting with NCT 2020. The 90s love unit to be specific. That was the first time Donghyuck had noticed it, that weird something in the air. That day had been quite exhausting, Donghyuck already being tired in the changing room.

He was nervously chewing on his finger nails. A habit he had ridiculed Chenle for just a few months ago but now it was him using the action to calm his nerves.

It was crowded in the small room, the members getting their last touches of make-up done. Someone must have sensed Donghyuck's nervousness as that person wrapped their arm around his waist from behind.

"What's wrong, Donghyuck? We got this." that person said and Donghyuck immediately relaxed into the man's touch.

"I know, hyung. But my throat feels sore today." Donghyuck replied, turning his head to engulf the older in his arms.

"Don't worry, you can always lip-synch if you don't feel comfortable. Also you have grown so much, you're way taller than me now." the man said, patting Donghyuck's head.

"Maybe you're just small, Ten-hyung." Donghyuck teased and Ten nudged his side. Donghyuck winced and let go of the older who gave him a toothy smile. Indeed there used to be times when Ten was older than Donghyuck but these times were long over.

"NCT U, 90's Love. You guys are up in five minutes." one of the staff members announced. The room grew quiet and Donghyuck and Ten joined the rest of the members. They made a circle, Donghyuck squeezing himself between Sungchan and Yangyang who seemed both just as nervous as him. It wasn't their first performance, actually one of the last ones but the tension was still thick, everyone now becoming focused and quiet.

"You guys got this." Winwin said, taking his role as a leader seriously. Donghyuck cooed at him nonetheless, scrunching his nose when his eyes met Winwin's.

"Let's go!" Winwin shouted and they all cheered before making their way on stage. Donghyuck took a few dee breaths, checking his position before hearing the count in his ear piece. Three, two, one and start.

Donghyuck loved performing. It was his life, the way his body moved in fluid motions. He didn't even have to think about it, the muscle memory of hours and hours in the practice room did the work for him while he himself focused on his vocals.

The performance was over before Donghyuck knew it, his shallow breath and sweaty face being the only proof of the hard choreography he had just danced.

"Well done!" Winwin cheered, giving all the members a tired but bright smile. Donghyuck went over to hug him despite knowing Winwin wasn't really fond of skin-ship.

"Go hug Sungchan." the man told Donghyuck and the younger immediately did so, Sungchan welcoming him in his arms. Due to their height difference, Donghyuck's face was more buried in the crook of Sungchan's neck but the latter didn't seem to mind.

"You did well, hyung." Sungchan complimented him and Donghyuck laughed, reaching up to ruffle the taller man's hair.

"You too, you get better with each performance!" he returned the compliment. He then let go of Donghyuck, yawning as they had been up for quite a while now.

"Tired, hm?" a voice asked and Donghyuck turned around to see Mark standing in front of him. He smiled at his best friend and nodded. He noticed that Mark looked just as exhausted as him, both of them never getting any rest. They didn't mind, didn't know it any different than this.

"You're sweaty." Donghyuck pointed out and Mark wiped his forehead, giving Donghyuck a smile. The younger would've hugged Mark right now but they were both reeking of sweat and Donghyuck knew Mark would push him away anyway.