Chapter 23: Employee Benefits

UNEDITED 

Play: Dream by Jamie (Start-Up OST)

Kim Hara:

"Looks like something annoying is happening back at the Korean branch...", Alex stated. 

"I know", I replied not bothering to look at him but instead on the proposal at my hand. 

We were currently in his office going through the latest proposals from the NGO department. At least I was, Alex was just playing with his rubric cube leaning on his desk beside me while I, being the proper human, am sitting on a proper chair. Normally. 

"The other directors said to check it out", he started again. We were conversing in English since it's easier for him to understand. Alex grew up here as a half Korean so his half assed Korean was taught by yours truly. 

"I know", I said once again. 

"It's a drag"

"Mmhmm"

"So i was thinking-", he started to move from his position.

"Don't think", I flipped a page, going through the contents of the new page. 

"-that I should send someon-".

"-someone not currently busy with the amount of work piled up I'm guessing?", i said as I showed all the unread proposals we had at hand. I finally turned to his direction and smiled, "I'm sure you would make the right decision on who should be going..", I waved my hand in his direction, clearly showing him all the hints. 

He smiled a smile that easily counts as fake and said, "someone who is VERY fluent Korean, and already has a grasp on what's going on", he raised his eyebrows at the end. 

We sat staring at each other in fake smiles that are starting to hurt my cheeks. I think after a while of the staring contest i gave up, throwing my hands up in defeat. "You love torturing me don't you?". 

"Now why would do that? You're my best employee... I'm just giving you the benefits", he says this with a delightful smile on his face. Oh the smile i wanna wipe away. 

"...best employee...hahaha... benefits... hahahaha", i shook my head in disbelief. With that I think it was settled that the company decided I would be going to settle the problem. Since it isn't a small problem i think I would need to stay in Korea for months for the investigation. Our Korean market is one that gains a lot of profit so I can see why the other directors care about it as well. Ever since SandBox was founded, many startups were being acquired for their talents which was a benefit towards the industry as well. 

I went back to my original work, looking through proposals, it was almost 7pm and the sunset was visible through Alex's office window. Looks like we'll be overworking today as well. 

"You do know I'm not just sending you there for work right?", Alex suddenly spoke, setting aside his rubric cube. I looked at him with a blank expression while he took a proposal file, somewhat briefing through the contents while he spoke. "You need to fix things up with your family too ya know".

"Hmmmm", I said nonchalantly, not wanting to indulge into the topic. Alex was the one who sponsored me to study and work here so we've known each other for years already, enough to know about each other's family. 

Taking one last look at the sunset, we both got to work with the proposals. 

* * * * * * * * * * *

I reached home and it was half past 9 already. I set my bag down to the floor near the couch as I fell on said couch, exhausted by work already. I got even more exhausted thinking about travelling again. I had to pack within a week, since before I left work I booked my flight tickets already.  

I groaned out loud at the thought of overworking days, assaulting my couch with my fists and feet, imagining my couch was Alex's face instead. After my imaginary assault, i felt somewhat better. I turned around on my couch to face the ceiling, the lights were still off since I haven't asked Yeong Sil to switch them on yet.   

"You need to fix things up with your family too ya'know" 

I know... I know more than anyone, but I'm too stubborn to do it. I know that if i just raise my hand, everything will be okay again. But those memories are still fresh on my mind. It's been a year but i can't give in. I tried to forget and just move on but it doesn't seem to work that way at all. The thoughts of what went down a year ago flashed through my head again making my throat clog up and hot tears were waiting to be spilled.

I wanted to switch thoughts, trying to cover my sadness but my mind led me to some thoughts I'm not sure how to feel. 

Coffee-nim 

Him and his cute smile when we first met.

Him and his arrogant self that really annoyed me. 

Him and his gentle nature after work hours.

Ballerina... his scent... the elevator...

Those thoughts unconsciously brought a smile to my face before i knew it.

Him and... his tears.

Ah yes. He loves someone.

That's right Stella, he loves someone else. You should really stop now. I mentally thought. 

Ever since I came back almost weeks ago, i realised my thoughts were half occupied by that cute boy. Since didn't know when or even if it's possible to meet him, I just made up my mind to not bother. So when Alex raised the thought to go back to Korea, a part of me wanted to thank him or scream in happiness that I could see him again but thankfully a huge part of me just didn't want to let these feelings grow. 

Yong San told me this once, that the probability that the person you like likes you back is not really that high. 

ARGH whatever, let's just sleep tonight and prepare for tomorrow. It's going to be a tough week. But it looks like I can keep my promise with Do San and attend the wedding. 

==================

A/N: sorry for the delay. No inspo. Writers block. *shrugs* rewatching start-up right now~

Don't forget the ritual ya'll!!!

Vote if you liked it 

Comment if you loved it 

Share if you want lol 

Ohohoh FOLLOW ME CAUSE WELL... YOU LOVE ME ;)
Jokes lol