Chapter Eight

ECHO

ECHO

"Remind me again why we aren't having this conversation back at the house?" I narrowed my eyes at Gemma.

Her gazed bounced from Arlo to me and back to him. While she opened her mouth to say something, no words came out.

I raised my eyebrow, urging her to give me an answer, but she seemed to have no logical explanation.

Or she did and just didn't want to tell you.

Something was off about Gemma and it wasn't the fact that she had found her mate and spent the entire night with him.

"Out with it, Gems."

She looked at Arlo for support.

"Tell her," he sighed and looked everywhere, but at me.

I didn't know what to make of that.

"I-we think that..." she paused for a minute before gathering her thoughts and continuing, "Mols might have tipped Colvin off," she finished, but took a step back.

"Come again?" I couldn't believe what she just said.

I was staggered.

"And what proof do you have?" I looked her dead in the eye.

Molly was one of us and accusing her just felt wrong. To make it worse, Arlo seemed to think the same.

She opened her mouth to speak, but I held up my hand to make her stop.

"Be very careful of the next words you utter or-"

"Or what, Echo?"

My head snapped towards Arlo.

His eyes flashed with anger.

I glared at him. He had no right to be mad after accusing Molly. All I had done was ask for proof.

"Are you really going to stand here and tell me you have no proof against her, but you think she tipped off that son of a bitch?"

"She has his number stored in her contacts and there was a deposit made to her account for ten grand," she said cautiously.

"How do you know this?" I whispered.

My world seemed to have been shaken, again. Someone whom I considered family had possibly betrayed me. The hurt broke my heart. I willed myself to stay strong.

There had to be another explanation – her side of the story.

"When we were tallying our accounts for funds, she accidentally opened up her page for the secret bank account with the funds displayed. We thought we were mistaken at the time, but I dug a little deeper and also found that it was indeed Colvin whom she had called when you were almost caught."

"When did you confirm it?"

"Last night-"

"When you were with Stone."