Chapter 23 - The Final Chapter

"Oliver James Greenwood." He smiles. "A pleasure to meet you, Alyssa."

"You're Alex's dad?" She questions. I remain speechless. He nods.

"Sorry, Alex. I know this must have been hard on you... See, I bought shares in this place after a guy from my work let slip about it, but after all my hard work, they wanted me to run the place. It's a full time, 24/7 job yet I couldn't have you all knowing about it... I had to pretend I was assassinated. It was a rumour made merely for the family, yet when your mum told you I knew it was going to be difficult. But you'd been out for 2 years..." I shake my head.

"All this time? All this FUCKING time! What I've gone through? What my mum and sister have gone though? You don't care?" I felt sick.

"Of course I did, Alex! Just because you know I'm alive doesn't mean you know about me!" He said back, trying to stay calm.

"Wow." Alyssa says. "So, Des made up that rumour I'd killed you because?"

"I told him to." He said back quickly. She remained stunned. "It all made sense at the time..."

"I could have killed her, dad!" I shouted back. Saying dad felt so weird to me, I felt tingles up my spine.

"I'm so sorry!" He said, standing up and walking towards us. "Believe me, I never wanted my son to get hurt in all this. You were meant to just believe it and carry on... But you kept digging, asking Des what happened. It all blew up in my face." I looked over to Alyssa, standing there as if she wasn't buying any of the shit he was saying, just like Des.

"So how comes Des saw Alex and gave him a file that I apparently had to kill you? With handwriting on the notes? That was after me and Alex knew each other, so it was hardly picking someone he wouldn't know!" Alyssa questioned. It was a good point! If he didn't want me to get hurt, why did he pick the only living person left?

"It just happened, ok?"

"What, that you needed to blame me? Someone your son had working with him? Not someone who'd already died?" She was beginning to get angry. I could tell my dad's once calm face was now beginning to screw up.

"Yeah, why her?" I finally spat out.

"Oh what does it matter?!" He shouted.

"Oh it matters! I could have died!" Alyssa shouts.

"So?" He shrugs. Her face drops and she raises her gun up to him. I look over pleadingly at her.

"Alyssa, don't..." I say, shaking my head.

"Look at him? He never gave a shit about either of us, Alex!" She shouts at me. A knot appears in my stomach.

"Alex, don't listen to her... I did care about you!" Oliver walks further towards us.

"Alex, he put a hit out on you! Remember? Des said?" She was looking wide-eyed at me, wondering why I hadn't said anything, or even moved from the spot I was in.

"Well, yeah, but..." I can't think of what to say. "He's my dad!"

"A million is on your head, Alex. If anyone kills you, they get a million. Your dad said that!" She was still waiting for me to do something. "He's more corrupt than Des, can't you see that? He allowed Des to set up Colin's firm, which killed our family, almost both of us! Then he helped Des create the lie about me killing your dad, put a hit out on you and now he's turned on Des! Can you really trust him?"

"Stop turning him against me, you fucking bitch!" My dad screamed, shooting her in the leg. She falls down, screaming. He keeps the gun held out in her direction.