Chapter 11 - To The Hospital

Alex’s POV

We’ve been walking for ages! When is something good gonna come out of this? Neither of us know where we are and Des is dead so he can’t track us. We’ve seen like two cars the whole journey and no one wants to help a couple of people who look like they’ve been in a fight obviously. Idiots. I can feel that Alyssa is using me to keep her up more and more as the journey goes on. The weight I’m holding up gets heavier and heavier and she’s now limping slightly.

“Look, I’ll carry you…”

“No! No, I’m fine!” She says

“You obviously aren’t… This journeys gonna be a lot quicker and less painful if we work together here!” She rolls her eyes.

“Honestly, I’m fine. I don’t want you wasting your energy until I’ve lost all mine!” Even when she’s been shot she’s still being noble and thinking about me…

“Hey? You hear that?” I question in a calming tone.

“A car?” She looks hopeful. I stand out by the side of the road, holding my arm out but the car drives straight past.

“God! Where are all the helpful people?” Alyssa says flinging her arms out. “Why can’t Des track us and get someone here?” Ok, I admit, I didn’t have the heart to tell her what I’d heard on the phone because she’s had a bad time too! I guess now I have to…

“Err… Ally, he’s dead…” I said and watched her face drop. “Colin left us and went to get him. He managed to trace him and while I was on the phone to him, he killed him!”

“Yeah, but he may have, like, not?” Alyssa said.

“I heard the gun shot, I heard the phone fall to the floor!” I said, trying to get her to believe it.

“Ah, but you don’t know he’s dead! I was shot, there was a thump… I’m not dead!” she said. I could see what she’s saying.

“Well, you can think that if you want… But I’m not giving out false hope!” I say, looking down at my feet.

“I don’t get it… He manages to trace the 10 best killers of the country, put us on missions of such secrecy even we hardly know what we’re doing, yet he couldn’t work out Colin was coming to get him?”

“Did we know Colin was coming to get us?” I question, feeling the need to stick up for Des.

“Well, no, but we’re not leading a assassin hit team firm thing…” It made me laugh that she barely knew what to call us.

“Yeah, well, he cant see what he’s not involved in!” I say, feeling proud as if I’d won.

“Ok, Alex. You can stop sticking up for your boyfriend now!” She winks.

“I wasn’t sticking up for him…” I say.

“Oh sorry, ok. You can stop kissing his arse now!” She smirked.

“I’m not kissing his arse…” I await the next thing she can think of to say.

“I just cant get my choice of words right, eh?” She smiles. “You can stop brownnosing him for a start, then stop kissing his arse. Get your head outta there, man, it’s not safe!”

“Harsh…” I mumble.

“But true!” She mumbles loud enough for me to hear.

“Seriously, you’re gonna pay for saying that!” I smirk and I grab her by the arm and pull her closer to me.

“Wait can you hear that?” She suddenly says, making me jump a little. We both go silent as we hear the quiet hum of a car engine slowly getting louder and closer.

“We’re getting this!” I say, positively.

“Alex, every car has avoided us so far!” she whines. The car can now be seen in the horizon. This is it. I walk out into the road, telling Alyssa to stay where she was, and waved my arms. I could see the car begin to move over to the right side of the road, as if it was trying to go round me. I look over to Alyssa, who has disappointment written all over her face. She wont make it if we keep walking. I pull my gun out and shoot in front of the car, causing it to break suddenly. The driver hops out the car, but I hold up gun up to him.

“Get back in the car!” I say to a very confused, scared middle-aged man.

“Please don’t hurt me!” He whimpers.

“I’m not! I need you to drive me somewhere.” I gesture for Alyssa to come over and her face lights up. She staggers towards the car. “Get in the back.” I say sternly.

“Please, I’ve got a wife and children!” he begs.

“Just get in the car…” I say, fed up that people don’t listen. After we got in, I put the gun down. “Listen here,” I say in a harsh, serious tone, “She’s been shot in the stomach and I’ve had my head smacked against the floor. Can you just please drive us to the hospital? I’ll pay you!” The guy returned another very confused look and begins driving.

“Ok then, the nearest is about 15 minutes away. She’ll be alright till then, right?”

“I don’t know… Let’s just get there as quickly as possible. Ok?” I say, seriously. The man puts his foot to the floor and we speed off towards the hospital. I turned round in my chair to look at Alyssa, hoping she will make it the whole journey.

“Alex?” She looks up and into my eyes. “Thank you…” she smiles.

“Thank you for…?” Part of me wanted to know how much she’d seen.

“Stopping that guy shoot me. And helping me out of there…” She looked really shy, it was quite cute.

“Hey!” I say, flashing her a comforting smile, “Don’t worry about it. It’s what families are for! Not to mention, you saved me from him!” I didn’t want to think about the fact she was a deathly white, or that her eyes were so dark and barely open. In my head, she’s fine. “Are we almost there?” I whisper to the driver.

“Still ten minutes!” he said, whispering harshly.

“Then please break the law and get her there… I’ll take the fall, I’ll do whatever it takes. Please?” I plead. The driver thinks about it for a second.

“You’re gonna owe me big time!” he said as he sped.

“Thank you so much!” I whisper back. “How are you feeling?” I turn back round to Alyssa and see her unconscious in the chair. I clamber over the seats into the back and try and wake her up. “Ally? Ally!”

“Is she alright?” The driver says, looking back.

“Just keep driving!” I say in a panic. “She’s unconscious!”

“Shit!” The driver exclaims.

“Ally? Come on!” I say, patting her cheeks to try and wake her but I’m getting annoyed. After all this and she’s gonna give up and die now? “ALLY!” I shout and my tap on her cheek becomes a slap.

“OW!” Suddenly fills my ears. A very weary, tired Alyssa opens her eyes.

“Oh thank fuck!” I blurt out, relieved.

“She alright?” The driver asked, concerned. “Cos we’ve just arrived!” he smiles as he pulls in the hospital car park and pulls up to the A&E department. “Just run in shouting that she’s been shot and you should been seen asap!”

“Thanks, man! I owe you so much. I got money if…” I rummage in my pocket.

“Don’t worry about it. Just get sorted!” He smiles. As soon as we get out of the car, he drives off.