Chapter 18 - The News.

1 Month On…

Alyssa’s POV

Waking up, I notice I’m the only one in the bedroom, I assume Alex is busy working. We rented a 2 bedroom flat, large one, in the middle of London. It was very nice, £2250 a week, neutral colour scheme but huge! I swear I could get lost! We began sleeping in separate rooms, but then thought maybe it was safer if someone did try and kill us that we were together. I roll out of the bed and walk into the living room, seeing Alex slumped over his laptop.

“How long you been here?” I giggle as I get some orange juice out of the fridge and pour it into a small glass. “You want some?”

“Yes please.” He said. “And I’ve been here an hour or so.”

“Found anything out?” I walked over and handed him a glass of orange juice.

“Well there’s been a few killings, but they never really tell you much in the newspapers…”

“Lemme have a look!” I say, sitting next to him and pulling the laptop on my lap. After typing a few things, I come up with a couple of news stories. Alex snatches the laptop back.

“How the hell?” He says, scrolling down and making notes. “Ah you’re a genius!” he opens up a map onto the table and circles a couple of places, all very close together, then crosses out a couple of them and circles one over and over again. “Here. He’ll be here.”

“Well, at least that’s a start… It’s only a town so it’s not gonna be too-” Suddenly feeling sick, I run out of the room and to the bathroom and throw up in the toilet. “Gotta be shitting me.” I say to myself.

“You alright?” Alex shouts from another room.

“Yeah.” I say, retching a couple of times. “Fine.” Flushing the toilet, I open the cupboard under the sink and rummage for a box that I had stuffed there a few weeks ago. I run over and lock the door, rip open the box and pull out the pregnancy test. The idea of peeing on a stick is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the idea I could be pregnant, that is beyond stupid! I chuck the stick on the side of the sink and now I have to wait 2 minutes. Alex knocks on the door.

“Ally, you alright?” Shit shit shit!

“Yeah! Just feeling a bit sick still.” I lie.

“Well, come on! Let me in!” He says, yanking at the door handle.

“Nah, you don’t wanna be in here!”

“Ally, let me in or I’ll kick the door down…” He threatens. Panicking I chuck the pregnancy test behind the toilet, so I could still see it but he couldn’t. I unlocked the door and returned to my seated position as he walked in.

“Happy now?” I say sarcastically.

“Well, I wanted to check you weren’t lying. You’ve been feeling ill for a while now… Maybe you should go to the doctors…”

“Yeah I’m planning on it. A little difficult when I’m constantly thinking I’m gonna be assassinated!” Alex laughs.

“Ha, yeah. I know. I’ve barely slept wondering if someone is trying to break in every time I hear a noise. We did pick a place that’s got security at the doors, but it’s hardly going to stop them!”

“Yeah, I know. I think that’s why I’m feeling ill. All this worry!” I smirk. “Anyway, don’t let me keep you, being stood in the toilet!” I laughed, gesturing him to go away. He smiles and exits the room. As the door shuts, I reach behind the toilet and grab the test. I check the test. I know it’s one of those expensive ones that has the word, not a line. I shut my eyes and take a huge breath in, pretty sure my lungs are gonna explode. The breath out is equally just as long, pretty sure my lungs are now some wrinkly deflated balloons. I open my eyes and instantly chuck the test at the wall. No no no no no… That has to be wrong… I can’t believe it says… God! I stand up, in front of the sink, and splash my face. Looking at myself in the mirror, I feel sick. God I’m so fucking stupid! I punch the mirror, it shattering and my mirror image becomes disfigured. Alex, hearing a smash, rushes in seeing my clutching my now bleeding hand.

“Ally?” I know he doesn’t want to ask what’s wrong. I simply turn round to him, tears streaming down my face. “Holy shit!” He says, pulling me in for a hug. “Ally, what’s wrong?” I know it scared him, cos I was strong. I was meant to be the woman that never cried; I didn’t even cry when I was shot or when I ran through that gas. I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t think. My body shut down. “Ally, come on babe!” He said, holding me out at arm’s length. I just cry, hardly being able to breathe. I don’t even know if I should tell him.

“I’m fine… I’m fine. I just thought about a few things… It upset me.” I lied. “Any more luck with Des?” I say, changing the subject.

“Yeah, I reckon I’ve found him. Talking to a few guys I know, there are a couple of hits being made in that town tomorrow, so he’ll either be at one of those houses or somewhere in that town overlooking them. I reckon we could leave late tonight and be there and ready tomorrow morning.” I nod.

“Expecting a lot of gun fire are we?” I say.

“Yeah. There’ll be two other assassins in the area, and no doubt Des’ll keep a few around the town keeping an eye out making sure no other assassins come in. Plus, if we can work it out, no doubt any of Colin’s people would be able to do the same and work out Des’ll be there and they’ll want to kill him and us… If any of them are alive and still want to risk it.”

“Right…” I say. “Well, gonna need a stock up on guns!” I say, faking a smile.

“Ally… I can tell something is wrong. If you don’t wanna do this, I can go on my own.” The sadness etched over his face just made me want to die. I had to tell him.

“It’s not that!” I said, shaking my head. “You have no idea how much I want us to know the answers too!”

“Then what?” he says, looking confused.

“Alex, turn around.” I say. “Have your back facing me.” Without question he turned round. I grabbed the test and threw it over his head into the living room, before shoving him out of the doorway and locking myself in the bathroom. I hear his footsteps get quieter as he gets further away.

“Jesus!” I hear him exclaim. I sit with my back up against the wall, knees bent in, head down. “Jesus, Ally!” he walks back over to the door and yanks at the door handle. “Ally open the door…” He says. I remain where I am. “Open the fucking door!” he says, then kicks the door. “God Dammit!”

“I’m sorry!” I wail from the bathroom.

“What- How- When- Shit!” I’m glad I locked the door. The frustration in his voice is beyond me. “Ally, help me out here!”

“How the hell do I know what to say?” I say, frustrated.

“When did you even find-” I knew what he was gonna say; when did I have the time to find someone to get with while we’ve been working the case, who’s is it etcetera.

“Alex, you’re such a fucking idiot!” I shout. The room goes silent. “It’s yours!”