Chapter 8 - You're Always There!

“Des? Des, I gotta go!” Alex says, jaw dropped. “More guys are coming for us!”

“Who are these people?” I shout to the phone.

“He hung up!” Alex says, throwing my phone back to me. I run over to the car and grab my bag, chucking a gun over to Alex and loading one up for myself. Here we go again.

“Don’t let me die this time Alex!” I shout over, he smiles. I wasn’t joking! I grab some ammo from the bag and load it into my gun but hear footsteps and as I look up, gun aimed and ready, I see Alex with his hands up and a guy behind him pointing a rifle into his back.

“Drop your weapon or I kill him!” The guy shouts. He was standing only centimetres left of Alex’s body, could I risk trying to shoot him? I might hit Alex.

“Alright! Just don’t hurt him!” I say, bending down pretending to put my gun on the floor. Looking quickly around, apart from the two guys still walking over, no one else is near. Good. I place the gun gently on the floor but lift up the tip of the gun as I do so and shoot without aiming. In what seemed like slow motion, the bullet burst out of my gun, flew across, skimming Alex’s jeans and hitting the guy straight in the shin. He collapses on the floor holding his shin but Alex puts the gun to the top of the man’s head and shoots. One down, two that haven’t got here yet to go.

“So, we killing them both, or kidnapping one of them?” Alex smirks, yet his voice emotionless. I think he’d reached that point I’d be warned about by Gail. ‘At one point, you just don’t care anymore… About anything, or anyone!’ she’d said to me secretly. ‘That’s when you know you’re in the right job.’ I didn’t feel so good about that. In my head, it meant if he had to kill me, he would. You know?

“Alex, we gotta find out who keeps sending these people to kill us!” I say, urgency in my voice. “We can’t drop our guard at the moment! No matter where we go, they know where we are-” I’m interrupted by Alex yanking me to the floor, I fall straight onto my stomach. “Shit!” I whisper loudly. I turn over onto my back and blood is already soaking my shirt.

“You get hit?” Alex questions.

“No, that was from before. The one I sewed together?”

“Does it hurt?” A little, but I’m not gonna admit it, so I shake my head. “Good, cos those two guys are pretty much ready to shoot us. We need to go out there hard! The guy on the left looks like a newbie, so kill the one on the right and I’ll shoot the other and grab him. Ok?” A yes wasn’t even ready to be spoken and Alex was already ready to take them out. There’s no point in asking me if it’s ok when you won’t give me time to answer! Standing up, I immediately aim my gun and shoot the guy on the right in the head. He stumbles back a little before he falls. Alex shoots the guy on the left in the shoulder and he yelps as he falls to the floor, dropping his gun. We run over there immediately, me keeping an eye out for any sneaky guys that’ll pop up.

“Holy Shit!” Alex gasps. I look round at him as he stares gobsmacked at the body.

“What?” I say, continuing to scope the area.

“He’s a girl! I just shot a girl in the shoulder!”

“Yeah so? I’m a girl!” I say, wondering what the hell he was talking about.

“No, I mean a GIRL not a WOMAN!” My eyes immediately widen and I look down. Alex removes the cap she’s been wearing and this young girls ginger locks fall around her.

“She looks 16!” I say, staring down at this teenage face.

“I’m 18…” She says, clutching her bleeding wound. I continue to stare at her. I know this girl. From somewhere…

“Do I know you?” I ask, randomly. She looks confusedly at me.

“Err… No?” She says. Alex also looking weirdly at me. It made no sense to them, but inside my head, in my inner thoughts I was going through every person I’d met, trying to work out who she was.

“What’s your name?” Alex demands.

“They call me Sam, but I’m Samantha.” She said. That name rang a bell, but her voice didn’t. Where the hell had I seen her? Staring more and more at her face, barely blinking, I could see she was getting a little freaked out.

“Sam, you shouldn’t even be in this job…” I say to her.

“I didn’t get into it on purpose, I was forced!” She said, truthfully. Maybe she was being so truthful because Alex’s gun was making a nice accessory to the side of her head.

“Who do you work for?” Alex demands, shoving the gun a little harder into her head. She winces at the pain. I just want to pick her up and take her home, tell her to get a normal job or go to college!

“I don’t know his name! I just got picked up and handed a gun! I barely know what I’m doing!” I stood there, still wondering how I’d know an 18 year old. I must know her, right? How else would I recognise her unless… Oh shit… I walk up to Alex and lean in, my lips millimetres from his eat.

“She’s the hit we had! The one we were on the way to do!” I move back to face Alex, who’s face dropped. This was way too connected to be coincidence…

“You’re telling me that had we not been held up by the cars of guys, we’d have killed her?” He whispers into my ear. I nod. See, whilst we were driving, Des gave us a few pieces of information, just her name, age, address etcetera, so we could trace her. “Nah, that cant be right!” I roll my eyes and walk over to Sam, bending down beside her.

“Samantha Greers? 18. Address 45 Pine Avenue?” I say to her, her face suddenly scared.

“Wha- How do you know that?” She tries to get up, but yelps at the bullet wound and falls back down.

“Holy Shit. Again.” Alex says, slightly comedically.

“Told you!” I said, pulling a face that said ‘Told you so!’

“I don’t get it!” He says, but suddenly we hear guns cocking behind us. We turn round and two guys have guns aimed at our faces.

“Really?!” I say hysterically.

“Hi guys, it’s good to see you!” One of them smiles.  “Drop the guns please? I don’t want brains on my new jacket.” I drop my gun, Alex throws his on the floor. I look over to Alex, his fists clenched together. I stare into the guy aiming the gun at me’s eyes. There was hesitation, worry and confusion in his eyes.

“You even know what you’re doing?” I ask him, he flinches and fiddles around with his gun.

“I’m so sorry!” A female voice says from behind me as a force so huge smacks me in the back of the head. I can feel myself blacking out as I lay helpless on the floor, just watching Alex get smacked in the head too. Bitch.