Chapter 17 - Can We Be Normal?

Alyssa’s POV

Alex was fuming as he drove. It was scary. And as you can tell, or should know by now, I’m not easily scared. Swerving through traffic, he mumbles to himself as if he’s trying to work something out. I have no idea what’s going on, but I sit here, practically clinging onto my seat as he takes a shortcut down a grassy hill. I’m pretty sure I already had whiplash.

“Alex?” I said, scared of interrupting him mumbling. He mumbled a little more before answering.

“Yeah?” He says, going back to mumbling.

“Where are we going?”

“Hold on.” He kept mumbling.

“I feel sick, can you pull over?” I say, suddenly feeling queasy, my face must have gone a deathly white because Alex looked at me and pulled straight over. As soon as he stopped the car, I jumped out and threw up next to a tree.

“My driving wasn’t that bad was it?” He smirked. I turned round to speak again but threw up against the tree another time.

“Yeah… Funny.” I say between breaths, spitting on the floor. Alex grabs a tissue out of the car and wipes my mouth, before throwing it into the sick.

“You feeling ill?” He asks, concerned.

“Yeah a little. Maybe it’s because I haven’t eaten for a while?”

“Let’s stop at a shop then, yeah?” He smiled a comforting smile at me.

“I don’t want to hold you up…”

“It’s alright, I need some time to think!” We got back in the car when I felt a little better and he slowly drove to a convenience store. I told him to wait in the car as I got out and strolled in. Walking around, I grabbed a packet of biscuits, a bottle of water and walked over to the pharmacy.

“Hello, I was wondering if you could help me.” I smile at the Pharmacist.

“Sure, what’s the problem?” She smiles back.

“Well, I’ve just suddenly felt really queasy, threw up a few times. Do you have any anti-sickness tablets? Some strong ones?”

“Do you still feel sick now?”

“Well, not as much, still nauseous but not to the point I think I’ll be sick.” I say, trying to make sense of it.

“I don’t mean to pry… But are you sure you’re not pregnant? It’s something we have to ask, as some anti-sickness tablets can’t be taken if you’re pregnant.”

“No… I don’t think it’s possible… I mean…” I pause. Oh Shit! No, it’s not possible. Right? It can’t be!

“It’s not often, but sometimes rarely people can begin to feel sick very early, although pregnancy tests only work a few weeks after conception. For now, I’d suggest trying to solve your sickness without medicines just in case.”

“Wha- Oh yeah, ok thanks…” I smile fakely and walk off to the checkout, paying for the biscuits and water and grabbing a few snacks and sandwiches on the way for Alex. Walking out of the shop I can’t get that thought out of my head… but it’s not possible right? Nah, it can’t be; I mean we only did it once… Ah shit. Shall I tell him?

“Hey, you alright?” I hadn’t even realised that I’d just walked up and opened the car door as I was thinking to myself.

“Huh? Oh, yeah good thanks. Got you some food.” I said throwing a sandwich and packet of crisps at him, followed by a drink.

“Ah you’re a star!” He laughed, ripping the sandwich box open and shovelling it in his mouth. “Mmm that’sh sho good!” He said, mouth full. I smile and sit in the car, putting my seatbelt on. “You not eating?” He said as he swallowed the mouthful of food.

“No, still feeling a little sick.”

“You not get some tablets?”

“Didn’t really want any…” I lied. “So you have time to think about whatever it was?” I said, changing the subject.

“Yeah, well Des told me he moved every few weeks or when he felt exposed to people being able to track him down and he usually used homes of people who had been assassinated. But now he told me that, I have a feeling he won’t use them anymore.”

“Well, we may as well set up shop somewhere so you can sort everything out. If you observe reports of murders and whatever they usually do in these cop programmes maybe we can trace him?”

“Hah, yeah, as if I’m gonna be able to track down someone who can’t be traced?” he rolls his eyes, chucking the empty sandwich box in the back of the car and starting the car.

“Well you never know! We could try!” I shrug. “And it’d give us some time to get away. Colin shouldn’t be able to track us if we just get a normal house away from here!” I saw his face light up. The idea of being normal for a few days seemed like a holiday for us.

“Yeah, alright then. You know any places we could crash?” Ah yeah, not thought about this…

“Not really… Unless…” I pause. He’s not gonna like this. “We stay with your family?”

“No! No!” He said shaking his head. “I don’t want them getting hurt.”

“Ok, ok fine! We’ll just have to rent somewhere, like normal people.” I smile.

“Err, yeah! We’ve got enough money! How much did we get for that last job with the 18 year old?” Hearing that made my spine tingle, I never wanted to kill a girl.

“It was 250,000. Cos it was revenge and killing of a youth.” I say, feeling heartless.

“Mayfair then?” He smiles.

“No, lets pick somewhere really random.” I say. “Somewhere normal.”

Sorry it was a filler chapter! Hope you guys like the story so far, more action and drama to come! :D x