Chapter 39

Time lapse: December 23rd

I stacked the last of my records into a cardboard box, scanning the room to check I hadn't forgotten anything. Gerard and I had confirmed, we would get married on Christmas eve, spend Christmas in some supposedly fancy hotel shit he had bought and then start asking our new home in Belleville on boxing day. Not exactly the normal or cliche wedding, or Christmas, but we weren't cliche and we weren't exactly normal, it was good for us. I had asked Kyle's opinion on it all but he just said he wanted to be with me and Gerard.

It was strange to see every cupboard and shelf empty, it didn't look like my home, but really it hadn't felt like home since Gerard wasn't here. I added, the book to the stack of boxes in the corner, fulling backwards onto the only thing left in the room, the couch.

"Daddy, I'm done." Kyle smiled happily at me, walking into the room, "I packed everything except my bed."

"Did you pack your suit?" I asked, he could be a little empty headed sometimes, but he was clever and the cleverest of people sometimes loose their common sense.

"Nope, it's ready." He smiled sitting next to me, looking to the wall where the TV had been only a few hours ago.

"Awes-" I stopped when my phone began to vibrate in my pocket, I pulled it out, smiling when I saw Gerard's goofy face appear on my caller ID. "Hi." I smiled answering my smile present in my voice.

"Hey Frankie." Gerard sighed, there was definitely no smile in his voice, in fact he sounded very disheartened.

"You okay?" I asked a little worried, my smile sunk immediately, my voice did too and Kyle clearly noticed. He looked at me a little confused then sat in my lap hugging me tightly smiling reassuringly at me.

"I-I don't think I'm gonna make it t-tomorrow." He said so quietly it was almost a whisper, he was almost in tears, I could hear how upset he was and I was just as sad.

"O-okay, why?" I asked hugging Kyle tightly to my chest as I tried not to cry.

"I have some problems with family and stuff, I-i can't explain right now." He said the hurt still present in his voice, I understood it was fine, I could wait. "Everyone is still going to be at the hotel though, so can you go for me? Just everything as planned, but I-I won't be there we'll have to wait a little." He added, I could hear the hope in his voice, but he was still a little disheartened.

"Y-yeah, I can do that. You'll still be there Christmas day right?" I asked blinking away my tears.

"I don't know sugar, I just don't know I'll try." He sighed a final time, "I love you so much, I'll see you soon I promise, I have to go."

"O-okay, I-I love you too." I replied before hanging up and letting my phone fall to the floor. I tried to smile, but it was hard, if I said that I hadn't thought of this day a few times what was now six years ago in Belleville, I would be lying. Marrying him was something I had wanted to do for an unbelievably long time and we had a great plan, only for it to fall pieces.

"Daddy?" Kyle asked looking up at me sad and confused, "What is wrong?"

"Nothing kiddo, nothing." I sighed smiling for him and kissing his forehead, "You wanna eat chocolate and sleep on the couch with Daddy?" I asked smiling as his face lit up and he nodded eagerly, chocolate and father-son cuddles, were a good way to push aside your sorrows, in my own opinion anyway.

***

"Where is Gee gonna be?" Kyle asked sadly looking down at his monkey in his hands, I had told him Gerard wouldn't be here today but he didn't seem to understand. "Is he going to come for Christmas?" He asked alarmed.