Chapter 14

"So, that's it?" El asks standing up. "You're going to drop me for her?"

"El, you know it's not even like that." Dabi says furrowing his eyebrows.

"Dabi." El says as she walks to the front doors, putting in her boots. "You know it's like that."

Dabi sighs as he runs his hands through his hair. "Where are you going?"

El tightens the laces on her boots as she stands up, grabbing her coat and reaching for the door handle.

"El-," Mes says as he stands up.

"No, remember?" El says, her eyes teary, with a streak of mascara going down her face. "We all know where each other stand."

"El, come on. Let's finish our conversation first." Nadir says sitting up from the couch.

"I'll just do this my own way." El says.

"Wait, El-," Ms.Guérir starts as she stands up from the couch, but before she could make her way toward the door, El was already out.

The sound of the door closing was the last sound before the whole room was quiet.

Terrible. This went absolutely terrible.

A couple of minutes pass before Mes finally decides to speak up.

"So are we really ending it?" Mes asks as he takes his hair, putting it into a man bun.

"Well," Nadir says with a sigh. "Was there really anything else in the plan?"

In the side of my eye, I can see Mes look over at Dabi, as they make eye contact.

But it was very quick. Like the snap of a finger, before they both say—

"No."

"So is it settled? It's not like we can just go back into civilization, you know. We'd have to pack up, make fake ID's, wear disgu-,"

"G," Mes says with a chuckle. "Chill out. We'll figure it out."

"Well, I know what I'm doing." Nadir says standing up.

"And what's that?" Ms.Guérir asks.

"I have a lovely group of women that I can see." Nadir says. "And since I am so amazing, I don't need a fake ID."

Mes and Ms.Guérir rolls there eyes as they stay quiet.

"But of course I'd miss you guys, even Miss Superhero." Nadir says.

Nadir walks over to Ms.Guérir as they give each other a hug. He does the same with Mes as he walks over to Dabi.

"Dabi," Nadir says with a smile, drawing out his name. "Take care of superhero, okay? She seems like the type to get in a lot of trouble."

Dabi chuckles as he rolls his eyes. "You're one to talk." He stands up before they do a bro hug or whatever, but before they can let go, Nadir puts Dabi in a headlock.

"Hey! What the fuck are you doing?" Dabi yells as tries to get out of Nadir's grasp.

"This is for you always trying to pick on me." Nadir says with a triumphant smile.

"Nadir let go before I burn your arm clean off." Dabi says.

"How about the top of the Eiffel Tower, huh? You like heights?" Nadir asks.

Mes sigh as he talks between the two of them, smacking the back of both of their heads.

"Hey, why'd you hit me? I'm the victim here!" Dabi says as he finally gets Nadir's arm off him.