t w o

11pm rolled around quickly, Addie slipping out of her bedroom door having changed out of her pyjamas just minutes prior. A thick black jumper she had stolen from James at some point was shrugged over her favourite jeans, her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

The hall was empty save for the blinking red light at the end of the corridor, which she knew Thomas would have tampered with by now.

"Thinking of leaving without me?" She asked, an eyebrow raised when she saw her brother half way out of the window, one leg outside.

"Perhaps"

Addie watched him swing the rest of his body out, hanging onto the trellis that was very conveniently situated right underneath his second-floor bedroom window.

"You know little girls shouldn't enjoy street racing" 

"Who says I'm little" Thomas grunted before swinging himself the rest of the way over, Addie following close behind him on the trellis. 

The pair scaled the edges of the fencing, making sure to blend into the shadows and avoid the cameras. Thomas had the guard's schedule down to a tee, knowing exactly when to stop. 

A few roads later a dark car was nestled in the brush, its inner lights shining softly. 

"Hi Mark" Addie climbed into the car behind Mark, Thomas' friend, who like them enjoyed the thrill of street racing. 

The crowd was thick when they arrived, a tight throng around the abandoned roads. Addie led the boys to the betting station, feeling the cash in her pocket. She pushed her way thorough the mass of sweaty bodies, a distinct smell of smoke and rubber lingering in the air. 

"50 on Death Chase" Addie placed a thick note onto the shelf that jutted out from a small hatch on the corner of a shop, an impromptu betting shop, tallies on the boards behind. 

The men around her snickered, laughing at her. 

"Death Chase has 160-to-1 odds" The man in the shop told her leaning out the window, a lang ponytail pulled back. 

"I know" The men jeered at her again. 

"Let the little girl place her pocket money" One man said, a bottle hanging loosely from his grip indicating his status. 

Addie slammed an extra 150 on the counter, smirking at the mans face.  

"Slip for the little lady" The man slid a token to her, Addie pocketing it as she walked back through the crowd, leaving her brother and friend to spend their cash.

The race started just a few minutes later, thick rubber zooming along the road, smoke gushing through the crowd. Addie was stood off to the side with Thomas, waiting for the cars too zoom nearer to the end. 

The cheers and screams of people only seemed to intensify the adrenaline as they stared at the little dots that were cars. 

Maybe it was the thrill of doing something her brothers wouldn't allow, or the fact that it was illegal, but whatever it was, the feeling bought a shiver to her bones. 

************

He held the tenth glass in his hand. Or maybe it was the eleventh or twelfth. Addie lost count about three shots ago. 

He got like this sometimes, when his eyes seemed to fog over and his ears blocked everything out. 

She stood up from the barrel she was leaning against, someone had started serving alcohol out the hatch as we waited for the next race. 

"Thomas" Addie gripped the arm holding the glass "That's enough. Let's get out of here"