Chapter 11 - Pinecones

Percy POV

She stood in front of me her grey eyes as stunning as they were the last time I saw them. She was crying, she cried then too, but even while doing so she looked even more beautiful. It pained me a bit to see her tears, not for the fact that she was crying but for the memories that followed with those tears.

"Crocodile tears" came Asia's voice "Do not let her fool you Percy, be wary of the child of Athena."

I mean I knew that, she was not the same girl I knew, she was not my best friend, my wise girl... my first love.

It became a bit awkward after a moment, if I had my hood off it probably would've been more awkward.

Was I supposed to care? Comfort her? I'm not Percy, I'm Omega. "Are you sure about that?" Came Asia's voice chidingly in my mind. Without a second glance at Annabeth I walked past her.

"HEEEEEYYYY!" Alpha walked over to me wrapping an arm around me as we made our way away from the crying Annabeth. "Seriously? 'Heyy' Dude you're the worst wing man, lieutenant, right hand man ever!" I groaned

Luke chuckled "It was that bad huh?" We walked until we made it to a clearing in the woods. He sighed "Well this place brings back memories," his voice sounded longingly. He looked at me studying me, "Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath and like a "dam" dam I began spewing all of my thoughts into words like a drunken fool. "Lu-Alpha she... she smells the same, that smell of pinecones-"

"I think all of the campers smell like pine ones," he interjected but judging from the look I was giving him he halted in his rant about pinecones. "Sorry, it's just that, dude, we're back! Can you believe it?"

I looked at the ground, this was the land that was once my home, this was the land that I fought for, my blood sweat, tears and sacrifices and betrayal was all on this land that smelled of pinecones. "She smells like pinecones," I repeated again softly more to myself.

"Percy," hummed Asia's voice "Remember your mission here."
She was right, Annabeth was not a priority, she has not been for ages and the minute I see her crying I lose my shit. I balled my fists up and looked at Alpha "We came here for one thing, we do it and leave. We're to keep our feelings in check and proceed objectively."

Luke snorts and stretches "It's easier said than done," he walks closer to me and made eye contact."I'm your best friend, your brother, do you think I'd let you come here and not think that somehow you'd get affected by this place? Look around you Perseus, every single molecule of this place is a memory." Grabbing my shoulders he turns me around "Look," he demanded.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing," I said with a frown "Look down," he said softly. Looking down I cocked my head to the side "Is that?" He chuckles "Yeah it is," he moved out of the way. I was looking at a scorpion, similar to the one that he had poisoned me my first year at the camp, the sting of betrayal that cemented our fates together.

"Think you're fast enough now?" He asks with a chuckle. I scoff "Is that even a question?" The minute I swung the scorpion bit my hand. I looked at Luke shocked "What?" He chuckles and looks at the scorpion "Oh you'll be fine," I frowned as my hand began to burn as the poison began to course through my body "Ouch," I stress as I look at him as I crumbled to the ground "I thought I wasn't supposed to get hurt from stuff like this?"

Luke shrugged and smiled at the scorpion "Thank Asia," he says as he crouched down at me I looked at the scorpion and it wasn't even there anymore nor was the wound but Asia licking her paw innocently "You knew?" I said in disbelief he smiled "I originally was the son of Hermes, did you think you could've pulled one over me?" I was going to recall all the moments I pranked him but Asia meowed loudly interrupting my thoughts. Luke sighs "The reason I had her do this was to help you remember."