141

Giggling from the other side of the line enlightened the room as he positioned the phone steadily.

"Hello Papa!" Jongho smiled and held the phone as close as possible in his hands, the screen showing nothing but the youngest's chubby face.

"Hey! I want to hold the phone!"

"No today is my turn! Jongho give me the phone!"

Seonghwa stifled a chuckle as well as he could. "Bunny how about you give the phone to your grandma, mhm?" he asked and earned a nod from the young boy. The phone was soon after passed over to Jiyoung who also liked to hold it too close to her face. "Hey, mom," Seonghwa greeted and waved. "Is everything alright?"

"Everything is alright, it's lovely with the children," the elderly woman replied and walked to the room her grandchildren would be sharing. They had two empty rooms; Seonghwa's old room and the bedroom of his brother. As her younger son's room was prepared for him and his husband, the kids shared the old room of their uncle. It was small but they made it work anyway. Jiyoung set the phone on the low table in front of the already made makeshift futon beds, showing the kids lining up to fit into the frame. "It was adventurous today, right?" she asked her grandchildren with a prideful smile.

"Mhm!" Mingi called with a dramatic nod and wide smile. "First we came to the station and then couldn't find grandpa! Uncle had to call him first. And then, when we found them uncle and aunt Chaewon went to her parents! Did you know she had parents here? I didn't know- that explains her dialect actually..."

"And when we were on the road, the car stopped!" Wooyoung continued excitedly. "I thought I was going to die-!"

Yunho hit his forehead annoyed. "No, he's being overdramatic," the eldest called and turned to the phone to de-alarm his father. "the gas went out and grandpa's van didn't make it to the gas station anymore. He parked on the side of the road and called a friend to bring a canister of gas."

"Tsk, your story sounds boring," Wooyoung commented and crossed his arms a little offended that he couldn't tell his oh-so-exciting view on what had happened. "I didn't even get to the good part yet where grandma saved the day..."

"But you all made it home safely?" Seonghwa asked again and looked at his mother, sitting behind his twins. She nodded quietly, confirming their safe ride home.

"Where is dad?" San asked from the side. "Is he sick badly?"

"Dad?" Seonghwa looked to the bathroom door with a faint smile before he spoke, "he's fine, just brushing his teeth right now. He'll be out in a moment." And as if on cue, the bathroom door opened and Hongjoong walked out dressed in his pajamas. "Ah, there he is~"

Hongjoong took the phone from his husband and faced his children and mother-in-law with a tired smile. "Are you being good and not making your grandparents any trouble?" was the first thing he said, a played-stern look directed at his kids. Soon it softened again and he greeted his husband's mother. "Hello mother, I hope you are well?"

"As well as I can be, Hongjoong. I hope you are too?" the elderly woman replied quite happy. "I heard you're sick. Don't overwork, ah? You worked hard enough to this day."

Seonghwa observed his husband and mother's conversation quietly from the side. After being together for almost two decades, it was of course natural for them to talk rather casually but with respect. What the elder loved to see was the fluster in Hongjoong's face when Jiyoung scolded him like a mother her child. One could think deeper into it and reason that maybe he wished his own mother to be this considerate of him, that it was that what he had been missing at some points of his life. Nonetheless, the answer was only known by Hongjoong himself.

"We're looking after each other well, mom. No need to be so worried," Seonghwa chuckled and took the phone to hold it between them. "It's late, have you brushed your teeth already?"

"We did, look!" Mingi showed his freshly brushed teeth proudly as if his father could see them through the video call.

"Looks perfect," Hongjoong replied with a smile. "Don't stay awake too long, ah? And keep the blankets on the whole night. You will get sick."

"Since when did Dad turn into Papa?" Yeosang giggled from next to his twin. "It's not like we're the first time here during winter?"

"but the first time alone," Seonghwa added, "your Dad is right. You kick off the blankets at night, make sure you're warm"

"Ya... Ya, we will..."

As Hongjoong saw Jongho already yawning and leaning into Yunho's lap to settle for sleep, he took the phone again. "It's time for bed, mhm? Look, Jongho is already sleeping," he said and waved at the phone. "Sleep well tonight, mhm? We can talk some time tomorrow again."

"Goodnight Dad! Goodnight Papa!"

"Dream well, too!" Seonghwa added and pushed himself into the frame again to wave goodbye at his kids and mother.

As soon as the call ended, the room fell completely silent for a short moment.

"I miss my babies..." Seonghwa admitted with an overdramatic had over his heart.

"We just laid off not a second ago-"

"So?!"

The younger broke into a soft laugh and rolled his eyes before throwing himself back on the comfortable bed. "Come, you can miss them tomorrow, it's time for some long and deep sleep now," Hongjoong yawned and closed his eyes, opening his arms for his husband to settle in. falling asleep with the elder cuddling in his chest was more comfortable than it looked. It kept him warm; not only physically but also mentally, emotionally.

Seonghwa nestled between Hongjoong's arms laying on his stomach, using the younger's torso as a pillow. It was comfortable, warm, and almost made him meet his sleep immediately. Almost that was. As very cold hands found their way underneath his sleeping shirt to his lower back, he yelped. "Yah! I was just about to fall asleep."

Just to tease the elder a little more, Hongjoong let his cold fingers creep a little further, giggling mischievously. "What? My hands were cold~"

"I'll set you cold if you don't take them out-"

-
Heeeyaaa

How have you been?😗✨

I hope you're all doing fine, exam season should be over in most places by now

Ayeee I tried my best for this chapter

Kinda didn't work out the way I wanted it to💀

Ahaha bishes I have my finals in two weeks and I'll start studying for it tomorrow🤡

Idk I don't need to study much but I feel like I'm not stressing enough🤡🤡

Watch me fail all four of them🤡🤚

Soooo...

Does someone have tips to differentiate platonic and romantic feelings?🤠

I'd be in need of that rn ahaha👁️👁️💧

Bls how do people know if they like or ✨like✨ someone???

Ayyeeee

Anyway

Stay healthy and safe!

-gulkurusubb