Skylum (IWCT Series)

Part 2

"Dad!" Nika's voice rings through the house loudly.

"What's wrong?" Calum wanders through her open bedroom door only moments later, seeing her eyes wide and breathing slightly erratic.

"Am I totally crazy?" Nika asks quickly.

"Take a deep breath, aNika Joy." Calum smiles softy, "It's going to be okay. I can still come with you if you want."

"No, it's okay. Rosie is going with me. Besides, Sol and Rui need you here tonight with mom working late."

"I know plenty of people I could con into hanging out with your sisters for a couple hours if you need me for this, Punk Princess. Rui has been begging to go to Ashton's house for days anyway, apparently Mav got some cool new ramp or something and she wants to go skate on it."

"No, I asked for this and I want to do it without you or mom. You two shouldn't have to sit through me questioning her about her life and who I am half of genetically. Rosie is more than enough, she's been around since first grade and I trust her to be by my side."

"Are you trying to convince yourself of me of that?" Calum asks, stepping forward to pull her into a tight hug.

"Me." She whispers burying her head into his neck as she hugs him back.

"It's going to be okay, Nika. If you want to cancel or change plans we can do that too. No one is forcing you to do anything."

"Does mom hate me for wanting this?" She finally asks, her voice barely more than a whisper.

"No. Why would you ever even consider that idea?"

"I know she's with Sierra tonight, dad. I know it wasn't work that kept her out of the house. I guess I just assumed that the lie and plans were to keep her mind off of what I was doing tonight." She shrugs slightly as she pulls back.

"You are far too smart, and far too observant, Nika Joy." Calum smiles sadly, "But mom isn't mad. I promise. It's weird for you right? To be going to see your birth mom after nearly seventeen years?"

"Why do you think I'm panicking?" Nika scoffs slightly, nodding her head.

"It's weird for mom too. She's not mad you want this, and she isn't trying to stop you from going, or make you feel guilty for going. But it is weird for her, Daysha had the potential to be everything mom is in your life, and mom is dealing with that idea. But she is not mad at you, and you are not hurting her by doing this. I promise. She wants you to get these answers and to have this be whatever you want it to be, she's just in a hard position in the situation. Just be patient with her, she's going to be just fine, and so are you."

"You promise she doesn't hate me?"

"No. In fact she is proud of you, for being strong enough to want these answers and to ask for them. She's just emotionally attached to you and this is a hard thing for her too. But that does not mean she doesn't want you to do it."

"Thanks, dad. I'm going to finish getting ready. Rosie is meeting me here in ten to head out to meet Daysha."

"I'm only a phone call away if you need anything, okay?"

"I know. Thanks, dad." She nods again, smiling as Calum presses a kiss to her forehead before retreating from her room to let her finish getting ready.

***

"Are you ready for this?" Rosie squeezes Nika's hand tightly as they approach the door of the coffee shop Nika and Daysha had agreed on meeting at.

"Honestly, I don't have the faintest idea. Part of me wants to turn and run back home, but another part of me wants to confront her, to see what she has to say, to understand what my life would have or could have been like. Not that I regret what my life is, I love the life I have had with my dad and with Skye as my mom." She adds the last part quickly as they enter the establishment.