#43

Winner

There are people who you've known for a long time now. You remember the first time you both met because it was either too hilarious or too awkward to forget.

Both of you have laughed and cried together. You have listened to them talking inanimately about their favorite shows and movies and they have seen your obsession with bougainvillea and Harry Styles.

Feelings knock the door of your heart unannounced and leave you with little time to prepare yourself. At first, you get confused and brush them off but in the end, you accept them.

Then one day, it just happens out of nowhere, you are at a bookstore, and they are browsing through the books with a soft look on their face, and your heart stops. No, there is neither music playing around nor the wind has picked up speed, it is just you and them, and in a weird but beautiful way, you feel complete.

They look the same, but you can't help but notice how their eyebrows scrunch when they are irritated or how their eyes light up when they see an old couple. You sleep picturing their hands in yours while you try to count the moles on their face. You even laugh at yourself for thinking of them in what people call - a romantic way but you can't help it.

You crave their attention more than ever now. You get jealous when you see them laughing with someone else because even though you want them to be happy, You also want to be the one who makes them the happiest. You scoff at the thought but it is true, the heart wants what it wants.

But you also get scared. you don't want to create this awkwardness between the two of you. You are afraid of their reaction, you don't want to lose what you already have, a beautiful friendship. But, you know that you've already lost your heart to them without either of you knowing and you've never felt more like a winner before.
_