#32

H O P E

"Have you fallen in love?"
.
"A million times with the same person who I knew would never be mine."
.
"Then why wouldn't you just move on?"
.
"The hope of having one happy ending with them wouldn't let me."
.
The first thing that came to your mind when you first saw them was how beautiful they were. Their eyes wouldn't stop shining. The same night, you slept thinking if they were hazel or light brown.

It wasn't long until you became friends. It was you who initiated the conversation, and your heart knew that many of your firsts would belong to them.

You don't remember exactly when you fell in love with them. Was it when you let them take your favourite book home because you'd never let anyone even touch it, or was it when you called them in the middle of the night just to hear their voice?

But as much as you want it to be otherwise, you know that they only look at you as a friend. And no matter how much you try, they'd never fall in love with you. Because they are heartbroken too and the door of their heart is permanently shut. Or maybe, they would let you in one day.

They won't push you away every time you ask them if they want to talk. their eyes would hold love for you, and this time, their fingers would finally find their way towards your hair and play with them softly while a ghazal would play on that half-broken tape recorder, and the rain would dance for you.

Because lovers are stubborn as hell, and they don't stop until their heart is broken into a million pieces because that hope of having a happy ending wins over all the pain and makes it worth it, always.

__

This story is dedicated to my Best Friend Wahida Mostofa Arpita. She recently got her heart broken so all these stories are dedicated to her. For her feelings to the one she loved.