Chapter 36 - Green Fingers

Depuis le début

"I guess that's a start."

"Don't be so hard on yourself." Taro's fingers raised and circled Sage's shoulder. "One day at a time."

"One day at a time," Sage repeated. Taro's moving fingers were so calming, Sage closed his eyes. "Are you feeling okay after yesterday?"

"Yes, I feel great. I recover fast."

"Your shoulder's not sore anymore?"

"No."

Sage hesitated, then slowly rested his head against Taro's shoulder. He pursed his lips and didn't open his eyes. "This doesn't hurt?"

"No." Taro liked the tickling of Sage's curls against his neck. They sat like that until Sage's head drooped with tiredness. Taro closely followed him to the bedroom and got him ready for bed. Sage was asleep moments after his head touched the pillow, but Taro waited until he was sure Sage was deeply sleeping to leave the bedroom.

He didn't go far, only down the hallway to the nearest guard. "Stand outside Prince Sage's room tonight."

The guard stared with hard eyes. "What happened to you yesterday? I saw Prince Sage running down the corridor with you in a very compromised state."

Taro looked around and lowered his voice. "Someone pushed me to the floor."

The guard sharply inhaled. His green eyes darted around the corridor. "Who?"

"I don't know. I was hoping you would have seen someone coming up the stairs."

"I didn't. I'm too far from Prince Sage's room to hear or see anyone coming or leaving. But these stairs are the only ones anyone would use."

"Apart from the servant's stairs." They stared coldly at one another. "I think someone noticed me."

"Or prince Sage could've done it. You said he was an ally, I've heard the rumours, but how can you be sure?"

Taro curled his fingers to fists. "Prince Sage spent the entire day with me yesterday to make sure I recovered. He put a lot on the line by dropping everything to save my life."

"And how did you recover from a night with no soil?"

"Luck." Taro glanced around again. "Come on, I should go back."

The guard stood outside of Sage's doors, and Taro silently checked the room to make sure they were still alone. Instead of shifting and sleeping on the bedside table, he sat on the edge of the bed, frowning down at Sage sleeping.

He didn't want to worry him by telling Sage that someone snuck into his bedroom and tried to kill his houseplant. Taro had faced many challenges while living in a world where his kind were a myth. He was in constant danger of being exposed, and sometimes he liked teetering on the edge of disaster.

He ran a thumb over his green nails. A few guests had noticed them and stared at him oddly. Taro sighed. I'll have to be more careful, for Sage's sake.

The next day, Taro was wary of everyone in the servant's quarters. While ironing Sage's clothes, he watched everyone who entered the room. Most of them muttered a tired greeting or gave him a quick nod. His old roommate gave him a quick hello before dashing out to help collect the silverware for breakfast.

Taro hadn't given anyone an opportunity to think that he could turn into a plant, so who had noticed?

He returned to Sage with a cold shiver down his spine, but that soon melted away when he saw Sage sitting up in bed, rubbing his eyes. "Good morning."

Sage tumbled out of bed and greeted him with a yawn and a small wave, mumbling, "I really need a shower."

Taro waited right outside the bathroom door, so when Sage rushed out with a towel around his waist, they bumped into each other. "Watch where you're going," Taro joked.

"What are you doing standing in the doorway!" Sage said after almost losing grip of his towel.

"I can stand wherever I want." Taro stood in Sage's way when he tried to leave the bathroom.

"Well go and stand over there, so I can get out."

"No." Taro grinned when Sage's hazel eyes fell heavily into his. "Make me."

Sage looked hopelessly at the changing wall behind Taro. "Why are you being annoying?"

"Because I can."

"Move."

"No."

Sage tried again to get past him. Taro refused to budge until Sage laughed at his stubbornness and shoved him hard enough to get through. Taro followed him closely, pinching Sage's side until he turned and whacked his hands away. "Get my underwear," Sage ordered.

Taro did as he said and didn't pry. His heart burned strong when Sage stepped out in a pair of black boxers. Taro's eyes travelled his body enough times to make Sage blush and timidly wrap arms around himself.

"Don't be shy," Taro said, handing him a pair of dark green jeans that went nicely with a white shirt and a light grey knitted jumper. "I'm your Valet, and your personal guard, and your person of interest."

Taro's heart fluttered the way it always did when Sage faced away so he could smile in private. Sage had fallen asleep with his head on Taro's shoulder only seven hours ago, and now he was all shy and awkward again. Taro did find it cute, but he also wondered when Sage would break out of his reluctance and start getting what he wanted.

Taro knew Sage wanted him. The way Sage looked at him was clear enough, but whether his stares would lead to more than just a hand-squeeze and a shoulder to lean on, Taro was yet unsure. He hoped with all his might, but there was only so far that he could guide Sage, the rest was up to him.

Though Sage was progressing quickly; his shell was breaking away day by day.

"We should have a date," Taro suggested. "A secret one in here for us to properly get to know one another."

Sage seemed to like the idea of a date, but obviously avoided the word. "W-We could have lunch together," he stuttered. "I mean... I'll have a lunch you can... uh, drink water?" Sage smiled and pinched the bridge of his nose while Taro's heart swelled in his chest. "I keep forgetting you're a plant person. That still sounds so strange to say aloud." Sage finished dressing, but before they left the room for breakfast, he asked, "Why was there another guard outside my door this morning?"