Tenacity in Spades

Part 3 bb!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kankri sat there in the hospital with his little trickster. (y/n) looked a little worse for wear, the doctors want to keep them for observation. The silence between them only weighted down the atmosphere in the crisp room. Kankri noted that (y/n) was almost jumpy around him, worried that he'd hinder their healing he stood to leave only to be stopped by (y/n) holding the sleeve of his sweater with a plea in their eyes that gave him pause. A silent 'please stay' was all he needed to sit back down and rest his head next to them on the bed. He eyed them as they looked forlornly over him.

"I'm s9rry." He surprised himself by breaking the silence. "S9 very s9rry. I sh9uldn't have l9st c9ntr9l like that. I can't keep hurting y9u anym9re I just can't live with myself if y9u were g9ne and-"

"I'm not gone Kanny, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." (y/n) ran a hand through Kankri's soft hair.

"6ut y9u alm9st weren't 6ecause I c9uldn't h9ld 6ack. Y9u mean s9 much t9 me, I can't l9se y9u." He shook, angry at himself, he never should have done any of this. 

"It's good that you're not Kankri." (y/n) hummed continuing to play with his hair. "Karmel told me that I needed to tell you something that I realized ages ago but I wanted to put it off so I could enjoy being with you for a little longer." 

Enjoy? You're not supposed to enjoy a kismisetude, revel in the debauchery of it maybe, but never enjoy. What the Psychologist said sprang to his mind, 

"Hum*ns Only H*ve Two Qu*dr*nts."

"I've been holding on to this because I was worried that if you knew you'd want nothing to do with me." They continued swallowing their nerves.

"Hum*ns Only H*ve Two Qu*dr*nts."

"Karmel suggested I used words you're familiar with a while back so I don't have to suffer the waiting too long so here goes. Kankri Vantas, I'm flushed for you." He felt them draw in a shaky breath as they continued. "I'm sorry you're suffering from my selfishness, this whole mess was because I was selfish, you wouldn't be hurting right now if I hadn't stolen your sweaters to begin with." 

They were crying now. Hunching over to cry into his hair, using him as a comfort, as an anchor to hold onto. 

"Humans 9nly have tw9 quadrants." He whispered loud enough for them to hear. "I'm ashamed t9 say I knew that g9ing in t9 this. I'm als9 selfish, I was trying t9 keep y9u, the kn9wledge that I was the 9nly 9ne y9u were with like this was me made me feel s9 happy, y9u were mine, 9nly mine. I kept y9u t9 myself and denied y9u what was 6est f9r y9u. I'm glad y9u st9le my sweaters when y9u did 6ecause I had already relegated what I was feeling f9r y9u as s9mething I didn't deserve. G9g, I d9n't kn9w what came 9ver me that night."

"What were you feeling?" (y/n) lifted and hiccoughed shaking like a leaf from the nerves.

"T9 use w9rds y9u're familiar with, I l9ve y9u. I l9ve y9u s9 G9gdamn much that I'm scared that if I l99k at y9u wr9ng y9u'd just disappear 9n me especially after the things I've d9ne t9 y9u. I've marred y9ur skin, I've bruised y9u, hell I've alm9st killed y9u. I can't be the reas9n y9u suffer anym9re."

"I wasn't suffering. You were the one doing those things to me, anyone else and I'd give them hell for it." Their voice cleared from the tears and their hand resting lovingly on his shoulder.

"Y9u nearly died (y/n), 6y my hand. I can't -"

"Do you love me?"

"Yes?"

"Then you won't make me suffer, it just means that we'll need to communicate more and do more couply things together. Keep the kinky sex for special occasions and we'll be fine."

"Idi9t." Kankri smiled for the first time since the incident, and looked at them, really looked at them. Worry still played in his smile.

"I'm your idiot, idiot." They smiled back leaning down to press a chaste kiss to his cheek before Karmel returned with jello for each of them.

"I see things worked out between you two. Wonderful, when c8n I expect the pitter p8tter of sm8ll feet?" Karmel hummed while handing out the jello and the spoons.

That caused both Kankri and (y/n) to exchange nervous glances and a hand squeeze. 

Kankri was right, things won't ever be the same. Never again will it be the same.