I frown at the memory every time - the day I confessed to Gabriel almost four years ago. Now, as I stared in the mirror at my maroon silk dress for tonight's galla, I couldn't help but allow a few tears to fall. Funny how time kept moving on, but I didn't ...I couldn't. I was still stuck in the same place.

I'd spent half a lifetime loving a man who wouldn't love me back. I knew it was impossible - yet I still hoped. It consumed me. I'd given up everything just to remain by his side. I wanted to be with him, to live our lives together. But I was invisible to him.

Then why couldn't I let him go? Why did I keep wasting my life chasing a hopeless fantasy? Galla after galla...year after year...I prayed it would change...but it didn't...and it doesn't...and I was just getting older.

My misery started in college when I entered the undergraduate research conference at the University of Strasbourg. I'd spent all my time pulling together research on Parallel Universes and Time Warps, one of my obsessions. My entire life's research was splattered across two large white-washed cardboard visuals that I secured under my arms as I rushed to the 'set up room.' The university was large, and I'd underestimated how long it would take to walk from the parking garage to the science building. I needed to hurry, otherwise, I'd miss my time slot and the judges would begin.

Meanwhile, the wind had other plans and sent my dress flying into the air revealing my gray panties

Meanwhile, the wind had other plans and sent my dress flying into the air revealing my gray panties. In a panic, I reached for my dress to hold it down, as I frantically glanced around to ensure no one had seen. Just then, another gust of wind sent the boards flying in the air, as many of the decorations rained down on the pavement and blew into the glass. My heart stopped as the boards headed straight towards a fountain.

 My heart stopped as the boards headed straight towards a fountain

"No!" I screamed.

As I raced toward my runaway project, I realized there was no way I'd make it in time. All that hard work would go down the drain. If only I'd been more careful.

Just before the boards plunged into the depths of the fountain, a man with sandy blonde hair, glasses, and a nerdy button-up shirt used his body as a human shield. The boards collided with his chest and he lost his balance and tumbled into the water. He held up his arm, keeping the boards dry, but that poor man was soaked.