31|Hellhound

After school, Liam, Mason and I went down to the tunnels, not the Dread Doctors ones obviously. These tunnels led up to the vent where the rats came from. I don't even know why I agreed to come here in the first place.

"You know, it's not as irrational as you think. There's actually an evolutionary advantage of having an innate fear of spiders, snakes, and rats." Mason said as he flashed the flashlight towards the direction we were walking into.

"What is that?" Liam asked and I should have never turned my head to look.

I turned and there was a pile of about more than fifty dead rats.

"Oh, no, no, no-" I shrieked and took a few steps back.

"It's a rat king." Mason said.

"We need to call Malia." Liam said as he pulled out his phone.

"You guys are out of your minds." I said as Mason grabbed a stick and started poking at the rats.

A few minutes later Malia came.

"You've got two minutes." She said to Liam as she stood in front of the dead rats

"What do you think happened?" Liam asked Malia.

"Rats freaked out...Crawled all over each other, got their tails knotted up. And tore each other apart trying to break free." Malia said as she dug her hand into the rat pile.

"You read upon rat king?" Mason asked Malia.

"What's rat king?" Malia asked as she picked up and rat and smelled it. She waved it over to Liam and Mason.

"Oh! I'm good. Thank you." Liam said as he stepped back.

"Yep, i'm, good just over here." Mason said as he ran over to where I was.

"Can you smell it? It's fear." Malia said as she held up the rat.

Liam shook Malia's arm and she dropped the rat.

"Yeah, it's the same ones as the ones in the math classroom." Liam said.

"Why were there rats in a classroom?" Malia asked as she wiggled her brows.

"Uh, they ran in during second period, about fifty of them." Liam said as Malia checked her phone.

"Your two minutes are up." Malia said as she started waking out.

"Where are you going?" Liam asked.

"Paris. This isn't my problem." Malia said.

"So you think this is a problem?" I ask.

"Maybe, Probably. But you've got it covered and i've got a plane to catch." Malia said as she turned the corner.

"I thought it was delayed?" Mason said.

"Rerouted!" Malia yelled.

•••

Mason and Liam managed to get a rat into a small box, so we could take it to my mom so she can take a look at it.

"Mom?" I said as I pushed passed the hospital doors, with Mason and Liam in either side of me.

"Hey baby!" My mom said as she hugged me. Oh my gosh. You guys brought me dinner? That's really nice ." She said as she looked at the bag Mason was holding.

"No,It's not dinner." Mason said.

"It's not dinner?" My mom asked as she wiggled her brows.

Mason shook his head and grabbed the small box from the bag opening it up a little for only my mom to see as she crinkled her nose up.