| Chapter Twenty-Two : A Tale |

Start from the beginning

* * *

E N D    OF    F L A S H B A C K

* * *

Although Dulcamara's words many times didn't make sense but if we pay enough attention and try to sort the riddles, we could get the biggest hint of our future.

I know Queen Narcissa isn't the best option to begin with but I had to start somewhere. Find out about myself, isn't that what she said? Where else would I know about myself more than my birth family? And a queen can move wherever she likes, right? So that means I can collect more information in power as the princess of Lycor than an assassin in the creed.

Assassin reminds me-

Despite the lack protests of my mind, I couldn't help myself from stealing a glance at Valerian as the carriage started moving at a snail's pace.

Valerian's eyes instantly connected with mine only for them to turn another shade sadder. His hair was disheveled and I don't know how but I knew he must've ran his hand through them a million times in frustration. At that moment, as he kept staring with an unseen longness in those green eyes, all the traces of the mighty king was gone. He suddenly looked like a boy who hated every second of his life. I know I should look away but I just couldn't.

Why? Why are you doing this if it's affecting you so much?

I felt my heart squeeze to the size of a pea as the carriage moved forward taking away the lastest of his image away from sight. It was like he was a running train I had to catch on fast enough before it vanished out of sight.

Find out about yourself first and then everything will fall into place.

Dulcamara's words whisked through my mind again reminding me of the work in hand. The faster I find out about myself, the closer I'll get to unleashing the twisted mystery that runs in Valerian's head.

I have to do this quick. And I'll start it with Victor.

Letting out a shaky breath, I turn to Queen Narcissa who still had her ever-present frown since the moment she entered the carriage.

"I need to halt somewhere." I say.

"I know where you want to halt. And whom you wish to meet. We're going there itself, my dearest assasin." She huffed.

So she knows? I couldn't even say I was surprised to know that Victor is one of the three people helping her to kill Valerian.

As we rode through the busy kingdom of Raveria towards the forest leading to Helvon where the assasins base is situated, I saw the frown on Narcissa's face deepen.

"I was told I'd receive a surprise upon arriving at the High king's castle. But I don't think I like the surprise a least bit." The lycan queen said out of nowhere.

My brows raised on their own accord at the venom lacing her tone, "You were told priorly to be at the castle today?"

"Now why would I tell you that?" Narcissa crossed her arms over her chest haughtily, "Look at you lowly girl asking me things without any fear. Don't think you're greater than me now that you know you're a princess."

What in the world is her problem? And didn't she say just a few minutes ago that she was told to be in the castle for the surprise? Gee, is this woman dumb as well?

I accessed the delusional woman who sprew nonsense with a newfound keen-ness. Something about her has me feeling bitter without any reasoning. Maybe it is because I knew she's the one who's trying to kill Valerian but I don't understand why that should affect me.