Nicholas knocked on the door hesitantly.
He was not close with his parents. They never spent any time with him unlike the other parents he had seen across the kingdom, who loved their children more than anything else.
His mother, Queen Helena Balinos was the daughter of a nobleman. She was deeply and madly in love with his father ever since she met him.
Nicholas often wondered if his mother and father loved him at all.

"Come in" he heard the deep gruff voice of his father.
He took small steps as he walked inside.

His mother was half asleep and his father was sitting across the bed in an arm chair. His father's gaze was fixated on a tiny figure lying next to his mother.
Nicholas peered at the figure and saw it was a baby. He was peacefully sleeping without any worry in the world.
"You both are my heirs but only one of you will be the King" his father said grimly and walked out of the room without another word.

Nicholas moved closer to the bed and stared at the baby.
His hair was blonde and unlike him and his father, the baby had inherited the features of his mother.
The baby slowly opened his eyes and something inside him stirred, a feeling of love and affection surged through his veins.
My little brother, he thought.
He vowed then and there itself that he would protect him, love him and give him all of his toys to make him happy.
He would happily give away the throne to his little brother rather than fight him.

"Your father has named him Theo. I hope you both will not be a disappointment to your father when you grow up" his mother said, interrupting his thoughts.
"No, mother. We will make father proud"

Nicholas and Theo were inseparable since that day. They were with each other in every waking moment.
Theo turned out to be soft spoken, caring and kind while Nicholas turned out to be arrogant, mischievous and short tempered.

They were the complete opposites, yet their bond grew only stronger over time.

When Nicholas turned five, things changed for worse.
The young princes were playing in the garden, when a guard informed them that the King had ordered for Nicholas.

"It's awlight brother, we will play later"
Nicholas laughed at how Theo misspelled words.
"I will be back soon Theo" saying that Nicholas ran inside the castle.
But nobody knew that Nicholas' life would be changed forever that day.

"You will begin your learning from tomorrow. Lord Harvey will be your teacher and General Atticus, your trainer"

His father's words shook him.
Nicholas had not expected this at all.

"And one last thing Nicholas, you are not allowed to see your brother henceforth. I believe he is turning you soft"

This came as a thunderclap to Nicholas. His heart broke into a million pieces as his father's words repeated in his mind.

Tears streamed down his face as he struggled to wipe them. Then he felt a stinging pain on his cheeks.
His father had slapped him hard, across his face.
"Do not cry like a girl, you imbecile. If I see you crying again, I will throw you in the dungeon full of snakes"

King Silas knew Nicholas feared snakes.
"I am s-sorry, father. I will not cry again"

His training started the very next day. Theo wondered why Nicholas had not come back yet.
As for Nicholas, he was not allowed to go back to the chambers which he and his brother shared.
He now resided in the Warrior's Quarters.