30: Choice and Decisions

Start from the beginning

It's not true. I shook my head, dread rising up my throat, a sob threatening to tear out of me. It can't be true. I clamped my mouth shut with my hand and fought against the agonizing excruciating feeling of my chest ripping open.

Amir continued for her. "He didn't take it well... Didn't want to leave the hospital, but I convinced him to come home with me. He did. This morning, the key to my Lexus was gone, and the Lexus itself. Security said they saw him leave the premises. Nobody knows where he went."

"And you!" Haliya suddenly accused. "What were you doing?! How could he take your car right under your nose?!" She raked her hand through her hair again. "And where the hell is Dan?!"

As if summoned, Jordan appeared, frantic, his uniform a mess.

"What?! What happened?!"

"I checked in the bushes!" He proclaimed when he reached us. He bent, rested his hands on his knees, panting. "He's not there!"

Everyone stopped. Deadpanned.

Haliya's eyes twitched. "Why would he be in a freaking bush?!"

Jordan backed off, confused. "I... I thought... In case he was hiding!"

There was a collective groan. Amir slapped his forehead. Osahon shook his head. Dave collapsed on the ground, weak kneed and tired.

I couldn't breathe. Kam was missing. Kam was missing. Kam was missing... And my exam was in a few-

"Asachi!" A voice boomed in the halls.

I looked up to see Mr Odein approaching me with a team of teachers that had helped with sponsoring my SATs. "Where have you been?! Your exam is about to start."

I paled. My hands wouldn't stop shaking at my sides. I lost composure, sweat, dribbling down my neck and forehead.

"Excuse me?" I murmured weakly, tasting sawdust on my tongue and bile in my throat.

He pointed to his wristwatch. "Round up your little group meeting and meet us in five!"  He commanded in his loud baritone, before turning to leave with his team.

My collar seemed to tighten around my neck. Sweat dripped down my forehead. I was standing between my future I badly wanted in retrospect and my present who needed me... And didn't know what choice to make.

I gulped. Took a step. Two steps forward, three steps back.

I looked at them with terror-stricken eyes. "G–guys–" Swallowed. "I don't– I can't–"

Haliya scoffed out a dry laughter. "Oh God, I can't believe this shit!"

Jemi snapped. "Haliya leave her the fuck alone."

"No." She said, walking towards me slowly, precisely, until she was right in front of me. I stared at her and she stared at me with a smile, so sharp, it sliced through my heart. "Go, Asachi. 'cause that's how your relationships work, right? When you need him, he drops every shit. No regrets, no questions asked, no steps back. But for the first time ever, he needs you and you're being a selfish brat and walking out right?"

I clenched my fists, my heart pounding. I could hear the blood roaring in my ears. Latent tears stung my eyes. I blinked, swallowed, my fingers dug into my palms, tearing at my flesh and stinging me.

I cleared my throat, put my life into perspective, tried to clear my head and make a choice. "Haliya, I-"

Haliya's phone started ringing, I heard the distinct voice of Dojacat crooning out of her device. She glanced at the screen, her annoyance, slowly morphing to relief and then a victorious smile grazed her lips.

She showed me her screen, taking her time to whisper the words. "It's Kam."

The words rang in my head. Something was crushing my skull, the back of my neck pulsed with dread.

"He's calling me, and not you. You know why? Because he knows who he can and can't count on. You burned him once and now he's scarred for life. He's falling apart and you're piecing your life together. Goodluck with that."

I swallowed, my heart wouldn't stop pounding.

She made a show of accepting the call, pressing the phone to her ears. "Hey, Kam." Her voice was whisper-soft, like she hadn't just spilled poison and wielded knives from those lips.

She glanced at me, smiled a vicious smile and whispered into the phone. "Yes, we heard the news."

Silence.

"You don't want a crowd... Should I come meet you there?"

More silence.

But inside of me, little Asas were screaming; Me me me! I want to meet you there; wherever 'there' is. I want to fold you into my heart and carry you in my chest and hold you till you get better. I want you crying into my eyes and holding my hands and finding it warm. Me me me! Me, not her!

I could hear Kam's broken voice at the other end of the line and all I could think about was; He's confiding in her and not me. Not me. Not me.

I took a step back.

What have I done?

Another step.

What am I doing?

My throat was bursting with sobs, mistakes, disappointments and all the things I didn't do right. Something was stabbing me right through the chest.

I squeezed my eyes shut. Every part of me was ripping apart and falling to pieces. My certainty was scattering around me. I was scratching the air for bits and pieces of excuses, grasping at straws, at the inevitability of the wrong choice I was about to make.

"Dooshima! Two minutes!" The urgent voice resounded in the hallway, further increasing my dread and anxiety.

I turned and made my decision.

_
↳A/n

Lol, so, 2 questions:

What do you think Asa would do?

What would you do, if you were Asa? Be honest with yourself and be honest with me.

Life and difficult decisions are like 5 and 6 🙂

So, the second update is on the way... It's not yet finished tho, if i can get it done by Monday, I'll update. It's my democracy day present for you🇳🇬