30: Choice and Decisions

Start from the beginning

He nodded, grinning. "I actually can't believe it. It's surreal. I never actually thought I'd go pro for a club as big as Clovers." He looked at me now, his grin even wider.

I opened my mouth to tell him that's fine! That's great! when a sharp, worried voice interrupted me.

"Asachi! Asachi!" Haliya appeared out of nowhere, gripping my shoulders. Her eyes were frozen in trepidation and fear, hands shaking, nails, digging through my blazer, into my shoulder. "Kam! Where is he?"

My tongue twisted into knots at her question. "I don't... Isn't he supposed to be here?"

"Ya Allah, if he was here, I wouldn't be wasting my time asking you now, would I?!" She snapped, glaring at me.

Truth be told, I hadn't heard from Kam in days. The past few days, I did what I always do when I needed to concentrate on my academics; This time, the most important exam of my entire life, I shut out everyone. Every means of communication, any connection to the outside world and attacked my books.

I had sent Kam a text this morning, asking if we could meet before the exams, but he hadn't replied. I had thought that he was still in bed but Haliya's growing anxiety fed the dread boiling in my stomach.

"How can you– Ugh!" She screamed, stamping her feet in frustration. She raked her hair that was now in a long weave all the way to her back, whipped out her phone, dialled a number and pressed the phone to her ear. "Yes? Any luck?!"

The person must not have delivered good news because she scoffed, hung up and glared at the space in front of her.

I heard urgent footsteps approaching me.

"He's not in the art studio either!" Amir informed, when he got to us. He looked squarely at Haliya who was gritting her teeth in frustration.

Beside him, Dave added. "Infact, the studio was locked from the outside."

Osahon and Lola emerged from the corner, worry, marring their faces. "He's not in his first period class either."

Haliya cursed, pulled out her phone and dialed a number. Again again again and again, until it became sure the owner wasn't going to pick. "Fuck fuck fuck fuck! Why isn't he picking his calls?!" She hissed, squeezing her phone like she was about to crush it.

"He must have left it at the penthouse." Amir shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck.

Jemi turned to Osahon. "What the hell is going on?"

"It's Kam," Osahon sighed. I noticed his grip on Lola's hand tighten. "We've not heard from him since he got the news."

"What news?" I whispered, dread, draining all the colour out of me. I couldn't see past the blaring signs in my head. The mountain on my chest was suffocating all the air out of me.

"How can you not know?!" Haliya screeched at me. "You're so incompetent and naive and self-"

"Don't talk to her like that!" Jemi snapped, coldly.

For the first time, Haliya listened to someone in her life.

She glared at Jemi, who coldly stood her gaze. The glare-down seemed to fester for a few minutes. Until she scoffed and turned away, waved him off, almost like he was an annoying fly on the wall, someone not worth her time.

I tried to talk but choked on anxiety, fluttering its worried wings in my throat. "What happened?" I whispered again. Cold. Detached, fearing that the worst had happened.

It was Lola that took my hand softly and whispered. "Asa... Kam's grandfather has passed away."

I stumbled back, a wave of nausea sent me swaying on my feet.