e p i l o g u e

(1 year later

(1 year later...)

Throughout the car ride, my nerves were acting up, my anxiety keeping me away from thinking about anything else but the event I was to attend. Even though I didn't have to do anything except give an introduction speech and encourage all the participants, I seemed to be more on edge than all the others present. The competition was about to begin anytime now, but instead of focusing on my name that was about to be called out, my eyes were busy seeking out a familiar pair of eyes which should be in the waiting room situated backstage. But before I could keep looking for the said person, I heard my name being called, and with a heavy sigh, I climbed up the stage as they said Josiah Alexander III.

After my brief speech, I was escorted to my place in the front row as the competition started. One by one, the participants emerged from behind the stage as their names were called out, and gave out some of the best performances. Some of them managed to make me go still with awe and admiration for their sheer skills and talent. Still, my mind couldn't be fully alert, and my eyes hadn't had their fill yet. One of them was still left to go, the one I had been waiting for.

Suddenly, her name was called, and she too emerged from the backstage in a shimmering white off the shoulder gown. Her signature red hair flowed in beautiful waves on her shoulder, resembling a bloody river flowing up the rocks elegantly. Her familiar jade eyes held excitement, happiness and warmth. She did a quick bow in front of the audience, the huge rock on her ring finger glittering uncontrollably under the spotlight. There she was, my love, my girlfriend, my future queen, Harmony Rose.

She walked over to the piano and sat on it with an ease and confidence that showed her expertise and experience in the field. And when she started to play, the whole room was rendered silent. Her fingers danced upon the keys, going back and forth with remarkable ease as she played one of the most difficult tunes I had taught her.

Her perfection of this piece had me pleasantly surprised, as she had mightily struggled during the learning period. And when she proposed to play this in the upcoming national competition, I was too apprehensive. But seeing her play this piece splendidly and brilliantly made me realize that I had spoken too soon. She was a woman of great grit and perseverance, and her success in playing this tonight and receiving a thunderous applause only showed me and the world just how much more she was worth of.

Once all the participants had performed, it was time to reveal the grand winner of tonight. That prize, obviously went to Harmony for performing a nearly impossible piece. As everyone readied to head to the hall for the after party, her eyes finally met mine, and she smiled her usual sweet smile that sent my heart into a frenzy. As she got close enough to me, I pulled her in by holding her waist and planted a chaste kiss on her forehead and lips, while keeping her near me.

"Well done, baby," I whispered to her, which only made her grin from ear to ear.

"Thank you baby," She responded.

Gazing into her eyes, which only held happiness and contentment, I thought about the time when I could see fear, utter and absolute horror in them. Just a year ago, when I had went in to save her from those bastards, I had found her in a state I wouldn't even want to imagine her in. After fighting with grandfather and the press people, when I reached the cottage in the morning, I found it empty, with Harmony's phone in front of the back gate. The dread that seized me then, walked side by side with me all throughout the months.

This girl had taken the biggest plunge for me. As deep as it gets, she had taken a bullet for me, literally. I still clearly remember the moment my heart stopped as she uttered her last words and collapsed in my arms. It was a totally unexpected turn of events, and everyone present there had frozen at the aftermath of their actions. Their foolish, immature and ambitious actions had almost droven an innocent girl to her death.

As she was immediately shifted to the hospital, Samuel and Wyatt were arrested for multiple charges, including treason. They had also been charged for trying to kill me multiple times, and for killing my parents in a car crash many years ago. I had wanted to punish Eugene too for conspiring with them, but when her parents came to meet me and requested me to let her be, I couldn't say no. I knew I had already done a wrong deed by publicly cancelling my wedding and humiliating them, and charging her with such horrible charges would only add to their wounds. Still, I made Eugene promise me that she won't ever appear in front of me or Harmony.

For almost a week, Harmony didn't show any signs of waking up. Her parents, Lisa and Claire were going through the hardest times, and I can't even attempt to recall my hardships during that time. Once she finally woke up, I had forgotten all about my job, and had devoted myself fully to her recovery. I would sleep with her at night and would make sure to make her eat her meals properly during the day.

Weeks later, she had overcome the initial stage of recovery, and had started to walk around again. Slowly and gradually, I helped her build her stamina up, while being busy with my work. She would have to forcefully push me out the door to go attend some meetings as I never wanted to leave her side. During those times, she had even reconciled with her father, and my grandfather. Both of them had finally understood the deep love we shared for each other, and had thus, given us their blessings, which resulted in a huge engagement party three months later.

"Ooo brother, didn't know you were the PDA type of lad," Came a cheery voice from behind me, bursting our bubble successfully.

"Stop it Claire. It's not like I like to see you with Andrew either. I can't believe you're still dating him." I scoffed looking at my best friend in mock contempt, as he responded with a smug smile.

"It only means I take good care of- ow man! Stop it!" He shrieked like a girl as I punched him lightly in the face.

"Talk about my sister like that, and I will behead you."

"Stop it baby. Claire, come on, Lisa and Matt must be waiting for us in the hall." Harmony said, before removing my hand from her waist and running off with Claire.

I sighed, looking at her retreating figure. Andrew beside me sighed too.

"How did we fall for women who don't even love us?"

But we both knew internally, that they would be ready to lay their lives down for us, if needed.

And that was enough for now.

▪︎ ▪︎ THE END ▪︎ ▪︎