21. t h e c a t a s t r o p h e

The door opened from within, and I was met with not one or two, but several pairs of eyes

The door opened from within, and I was met with not one or two, but several pairs of eyes. Suddenly, I became the center of attention as everyone's gaze fell on me. Somehow, my gut was right – there were more people in this room than I had imagined. Some of them were familiar, others weren't, and then there were two people I recognized instantly by their eerily similar crooked smiles, but wished in vain that I hadn't known them. Those two people were the chief secretary to the Monarch, Samuel Colton, and his only son, Wyatt.

My parents stepped forward to greet the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Their two children, whom I had never met were also present. I met their daughter's eyes as she was sitting across from me, but her icy glare didn't waver, nor did it change into a smile. Honestly, it reminded me of someone's eyes, but I wasn't so sure.

Soon, I was pulled out of my reverie as my mother called out to me to greet the other guests.

"...and this is my daughter, Harmony Rose. That is Lisa, my sister's daughter."

She pushed Lisa and I subtly in front of her, silently asking us to cooperate with her.

I put on my best smile for the Duchess, and bowed to her slightly out of respect.

"Ah, no wonder you're Eleanor's daughter. You look just the same, always so pretty!"

Clementine exclaimed. She was one of the very few women I adored. I hadn't met her in a long while, but had only seen her once in a while when I was young. She was still the same – kind and beautiful.

"Good evening, Duchess. You too are just as charismatic."

I greeted her politely, forgetting all about my dilemma for a second.

"Its so nice to meet you all again. His Majesty was planning the private celebratory dinner and once he told me about it, I suggested to invite the Rose family too. It has been far too long and I was dying to know how you are doing. I hope you all enjoy this quiet evening."

She said, making my mother gush with happiness.

"Of course Clementine! You thought of us after so long, oh, you're such a dear! Everyone, let's raise a toast on this jolly occasion. Cheers!"

"Cheers!"

"Cheers!"

The elders were standing in a corner and enjoying themselves, while the four of us were still hesitant to take a seat. Suddenly, a boy who was probably two or three years older than me stood up and broke the ice.

"Hi ladies, I believe we have met before?"

I looked at him, puzzled about his revelation. I didn't have any memory of meeting such a handsome man until I noticed his long brown hair, which reminded me of someone, just like his sister. I was sure I had seen that hair somewhere. Just as I was about to reach a conclusion, Lisa spoke up.