24. t h e s h o c k i n g a n s w e r

Moments later, an empty bottle was placed at the center of the table, as we all prepared ourselves with glasses of wine or juice

Moments later, an empty bottle was placed at the center of the table, as we all prepared ourselves with glasses of wine or juice. There were huge smiles on the faces of only three people – Lisa, Andrew and Wyatt. Although I wasn't aware of the reason of Andrew's excitement, I was sure Lisa was over the moon because she thought she could extract crucial information from the prince; and Wyatt's reason to rejoice was too obvious to overlook. Any idiot would be able to comprehend that.

Eugene still took offense to my presence in the room, and kept glaring at me every chance she got. Her arm around Josiah caught my eye, as I noticed the way she held onto him possessively. Josiah too, noticed it and instantly detached his arm from her clutch-like hands. She was about to protest but one look from him was enough to shut her up.

I was extremely shocked, and puzzled. Why would the prince want to marry a woman like her? When he doesn't even like her in the least? He wasn't the kind of person to not care about such things, even I had known that much about him. Then why exactly was he doing this?

"Okay, so let's start the game. I will spin the bottle, and whomever it lands on, will be asked a question. They can choose to answer that question truthfully, or take a sip from their drink. I hope everyone gets it?"

Andrew spoke up, and we all wordlessly nodded our heads in understanding.

He spun the bottle for the first round, and it landed on Lisa, who groaned in response.

"Ugh... Why me first? Anyway, ask your question."

She looked at everyone with a confident smile on her face. She really was the kind of person who didn't have skeletons hiding in her closet, so I could understand where her confidence stemmed from.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

Claire asked her suddenly, her expression portraying some sort of strong emotion that I couldn't make out clearly.

"Huh? Of course, I have! Why did you ask that? You should have asked me the name of that lad instead."

She laughed out in confusion, her bright tone not faltering for even a second as Claire's expression was becoming more and more intense. If I had brushed off her seriousness earlier, I definitely couldn't do it now. This was turning into something more grave, something I wasn't aware of. She was usually a kind girl, then what was up with her and this sudden coldness towards Lisa? I failed to understand, but I was determined to know more about it.

The tense atmosphere soon lightened up, when Lisa spun the bottle again, and this time, it landed on Josiah. The lock in his jaw tightened when he saw that it was his turn now, but he remained measured nonetheless.

"Ooo, it's finally time for the mighty prince to answer a question! I wonder what I should ask him about?"

Lisa said, rubbing her hands in excitement as she pretended to ponder on something which was so obvious. At least, to me, it was. He looked at her with a browned off stare and responded lifelessly,

"Ask whatever you want. I won't bite."

"Hmm... in that case, tell me just one thing. This is an answer you can give in just a yes or no. Are you ready?"

She teased him again which earned her snickers from across the room and a glare from the prince himself. I still couldn't comprehend why was she so unafraid of everyone around her. It's not like she had many extra lives to spare, because of which she could freely go around saying anything she wanted to anyone, irrespective of their positions.

"Okay then, here is the most awaited question of this game. Tell us, do you love Eugene or... not?"

She asked him the question which frankly left most of the people in the room, including me, gobsmacked with our jaws on the ground. I whipped my head to face her and found out she was already looking at me with a smirk on her visage. This woman was going to be the death of me someday.

I chastised her silently with my eyes but she her gaze seemed to be filled with merry, enjoying every second of the discomfort she had caused. I was also aware that she was doing this for my sake, but it wasn't necessary. I was already out of the equation and I was okay with it. I promised myself that I would cope up with it and not be tempted by the prince anymore, but now questions like these would shake me up and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on distancing myself from him.

"This little b-"

Eugene stood up, and tried to raise her hand at Lisa, who was still sitting shamelessly and grinning from ear to ear, but was stopped by Josiah. He gave her a stern look that made her sit back in fear. He then looked at her and told her with his same stern tone and intense grey eyes,

"Don't you think that you have crossed a line with this question?"

"Absolutely not. I'm a part of this country, a subject who will soon be under your control. I think I do have the right to ask about the welfare of the people who will one day rule my country. Isn't that right, prince?"

She countered him smartly, and he could only grit his teeth in annoyance. Wyatt from beside him spoke up too.

"Come on Prince, just tell them that you're in love with her and let's move on."

He suggested calmly, but the twinkling in his eyes and the hateful way Josiah looked at him was enough to tell me that he was surrounded by enemies and scornful people all the time. Nobody was his true friend, except for maybe Andrew, but I wasn't so sure anymore.

He contemplated his answer for a few seconds, but then chose to not answer it as he picked up his glass of wine and took a small sip of it.

"I won't answer this."