36. t h e a b e r r a n t a p p o i n t m e n t

At six sharp, I found myself at the door of His Majesty's chambers. How I got here, without my legs giving away, was of foreign knowledge to me. Even now, as I was readying myself to be ushered inside at His Majesty's approval, I couldn't bring myself to calm the aberrant beats of my heart. I wasn't still sure what it was that we were going to talk about, and meeting His Majesty alone was nerve-wracking for me.

Soon, the door opened and one of the guards gave me the permission to step inside. The room I stepped inside must have been the largest in the palace, and the most palatial. The grandeur of the space was not even something I would want to explicate or expound upon, as all words would fall short. All I could see that His Majesty was fond of reading, judging from the massive wall lined from books from top to bottom; and that he was also fond of nature, which could be seen by the size of the windows and the small plants that were hanging all around them.

I ventured further to see him resting in his chair in the equally gigantic balcony that overlooked the best view of the palace. On the table in front of him, was a large tray filled with dainty white cups lined with gold, and a matching set of kettle and larger cups of milk and sugar. But the more shocking thing was that he was pouring his own tea, and then stopped in between to look at me briefly, before promptly resuming his task.

"Your Majesty," I said as I slightly curtsied, to show my respect for the sovereign and he nodded at me before gesturing towards the seat empty in front of him. I took my seat and quietly helped myself to a cup of tea at his gesture, although I wasn't able to do so without shaky and sweaty hands.

"Miss Rose, I believe that you have no idea as to why you were summoned by me this wonderful evening?" He started the conversation to which I replied while keeping my head down.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I am not aware of it."

"Of course. But, this is a matter of significance, and I couldn't talk to your parents before having a word with you about it. Because you see, you are now an adult, I suppose," He said, which made my face paler than before.

Did he know about me and Josiah? Was this really why I was here? But I had no time to dwell on that as he continued again,

"Josiah had a talk with me just the day before, and I felt like before anything, I must confirm something with Miss Rose."

'Oh God, please. Let it be anything but that, please.'

"I believe that you have also met my granddaughter, Claire a few times recently. She's a young girl with a lot of energy and wants to learn a new hobby, which just so happens to be piano, something I'm told you're brilliant at. So please consider this meeting as my request for you to take care of Claire as her teacher as well as a good friend. She is not too younger than you, Miss Rose, but she will definitely look up to such a calm and respectable character such as yours. And seeing that will most definitely help in decreasing my anxiety about her perfect upbringing."

He concluded, and the words of His Majesty have never brought me more comfort. I heaved a huge sigh of relief as I slowly comprehended his reason of calling me here personally. He wanted me to tutor Claire, and I was completely fine with that. I mean, how could I refuse when His Majesty had himself requested this from me? But, there was still something that wasn't quite clear.

"Your Majesty, I would be honored to tutor and assist Princess Claire, and I will see that I put all my best abilities to use and make her best of the best. But, I have just one query, if Your Majesty would choose to answer it."I spoke, to which he nodded, "Please, let me know."

"I was not aware that His Majesty had seen or heard about my piano abilities from anyone. Then, how did Your Majesty call me with so much confidence? Surely, someone must have given the information."

"Ahh, that is all Josiah's doing. He overheard you talking to Claire about it at one of the events and promptly suggested your name when this issue was brought up. I know that it was very rude of him, and if it bothers Miss Rose to this extent, I give you my promise that there will be no ill blood between us even if you choose to refuse to share your knowledge."

"Oh no, please don't think that it was my intention to refuse. I am, still very ready and incredibly excited to show off my skills and teach a student the thing I love the most. That query was just purely out of curiosity, and I apologize if I was out of line."

"Very well, then. Since it is the weekend soon, I will give you the liberty to be free for the next two days, and then start afresh from Monday onwards. Will that be okay with Miss Rose?"

"Oh of course, Your Majesty. I will promptly start my job from Monday. Thank you for having me here."

I bowed slightly one last time before leaving the place in a hurry. His Majesty was a really intimidating man. Even though he was sweet and respectful, something about his demeanor and the way he put his words forward, you were forced to say yes to him. I personally had nothing against Claire and would have a nice time with her since we liked each other's company, but I wasn't sure if I could forgive Josiah for it so easily.

As if Gods were listening to my prayers that day, as soon as I passed through the area of His Majesty's chambers, I ran in to Josiah. He too, was a little bemused to see me in this part of the palace, but then the clouds of confusion cleared as his eyes sparkled with mischief and something similar to longing.

I could comprehend his situation very easily. I too, felt like I should hug him, kiss those soft lips of his, or at least hold his hand but we were both restrained cruelly by the age old fate. Then suddenly, his little act of mischief came to mind that made me think of something borderline sinister. I knew that after today's unexpected meeting, this will be a heavy blow to the prince.

And so, with an inconspicuous smirk on my face, I lowered my head and little and spoke those very important words, "Your Highness, I must inform you that I will not be available for our arrangement tomorrow and the day after morning, for I have an urgent issue that needs to be tended to. Since someone suggested that I should tutor Princess Claire, I will be extremely busy on that account. I'm deeply sorry, please excuse me now."

I looked at him one last time to see a horrified expression which changed into panic and then into wanting to ask hundreds of questions, but I paid no heed to him as I added in one last triumphant smirk and strut over to my home.

I think I've paid him back too well.