26. t h e s t u p e n d o u s m o m e n t s

"I will ask you the same question as Claire was asked. Do you have feelings for anyone in this room?"

My breath hitched in my throat on hearing this question. What was she thinking when she asked me this? That I somehow liked her fiance? Even if that was true, I don't think I had given any sort of a small inkling about it too, so how could she be so spot on to spot my weakness and pummel me in the first round?

I didn't have words to express or expound on the panic I was feeling on the inside. Little beads of sweat started to form on the side of my forehead, and my face contorted in visible pain. I actually felt like I was going to collapse out of worrying and overthinking too much. Everyone was waiting for my response, but I felt like running out of that asphyxiating environment as fast as I could and never return to face those people.

Sensing my discomfort, and the impending danger the trap held which Eugene had set for me, Lisa immediately came to my rescue.

"What are you talking about? How could she like the people she met for the first time tonight?"

"This isn't a question for you to answer. She too has a tongue, I'm sure she can do it yourself."

Eugene shut her up in a split second with a malicious smile on her face. She then turned to face me and asked me in a tone of mock happiness,

"Aww, did I struck a nerve? Is it true strange girl?"

I looked up to meet her eyes which were dripping with malice and evil intentions. She looked like a lion lurking in the shadows, waiting patiently for their prey to arrive. Her confident stance and overpowering attitude only made me feel smaller than I actually was.

I couldn't let them know the truth. I couldn't let her know the truth. I couldn't let Wyatt know that he was right all along. And most of all, I couldn't let Josiah know about my real feelings. Even though there were three guys in the room, I knew her implication was towards the prince. That was why she was so interested in knowing my answer. And so, I decided to resort to the next best option. Lie.

"No, I too don't like anyone in this room."

Eugene didn't say anything, but the way she was inspecting every inch of my face told me she had taken it with a grain of salt. Just then, Wyatt from the right side chuckled and said,

"You can't hide or distort the truth here, Har. You have to tell them the absolute truth. So, don't be shy, just let it out."

"I'm not. I don't have feelings for anyone here, and that's the truth."

I stuck to my words, knowing that they weren't believing me. I too, didn't believe myself, considering the fact that I was hyperventilating about it just a few minutes ago. But where authentic lies don't work, we have to resort to white lies. We all knew I was hiding the truth, but as long as I didn't admit it on my own, nobody will be able to force the right answer from me.