10. t h e i n e v i t a b l e b e w i l d e r m e n t

This time, I could physically feel all the breath getting knocked out of my lungs as I stared up at the podium in unadulterated stupefaction, unable to make any sense of the situation

'This couldn't be possible. I did not just have the best dance of my life with the freaking Prince himself!! Oh God!!! I'm definitely going crazy.'

After I was positive my panicking wouldn't cease for a while, I turned to look at Lisa, who had the same gobsmacked expression, and then looked at everyone else, who looked no different than us. People had known at some point that they would be anonymously interacting with the prince, but now that it was all out in the open, the only emotion they could feel was utter and pure shock.

This also explains how he could be so dominating and authoritative with Wyatt – he was the boss of everyone. With trembling eyes and body that was becoming unsteady even without the influence of alcohol, I forced myself to look up, and found him looking at me – for the billionth time this evening. I had just started to fall down the rabbit hole that was his intense grey pools when I was quickly reminded of the situation, and averted my eyes to the ground. A daughter of a lowly noble family such as I shouldn't have any further interactions with the prince in the future.

And then suddenly I realized another thing – this was even worse than not having to see him ever again. Because I will be seeing him plenty of times during the day, no matter now humongous the palace is – but I can never have him. I will have to pretend like I didn't sign off my heart to someone who was unapproachable by all means. 'None of this should have ever happened,' I cursed myself internally. 'Damn you Lisa, and your stubbornness.'

And then I heard him speak, again. His voice contained his usual intensity, but this time, his deep baritone contained power and authority. He spoke like a true member of the royal family, and that's when I lost all hope.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I would like to introduce myself to you officially. I'm Josiah Alexander III, the heir to the throne of the United Kingdom. This has been an extremely pleasant evening – as I've seen from the sidelines. The idea of an anonymous masquerade party was mine, and by looking at all the fun you all have had, I can conclude that it was a tremendous success.

My grandfather, His Majesty, has always taught me the principles of leadership, and the art of serving other people. And he says that both are prerequisites in leading a country. I turned twenty-one a few days ago, and had celebrated my birthday in the palace after a long while. And while I will admit that it felt utterly gratifying to return to the place I grew up in, I have not, and will not forget my purpose.

As His Majesty announced before me, I will be taking over the official duties assigned to the prince, and I promise solemnly to work in harmony with all of our associates, in a direction which benefits only the nation, and the people of the nation.

Lastly, I hope you all can give me your undivided support, so that I can work towards the betterment of the society, as well as the nation. Thank you."

As soon as he completed his speech, his eyes found mine again, and I felt chocked up to the point where anyone could easily see the tears threatening to fall from my emerald eyes. I couldn't believe my fate – and my audacity. This had been a terrible idea from the start, and as I listened intently to each and every word he spoke as the prince, I sunk deeper and deeper into the pits of self-loathing and penitence. All of a sudden, the room started to spin around me. I felt it closing on me, as all the people started to get bigger until they looked like giants trying to inhale me as their last supper.

Unable to do or say anything to anyone about it, I quickly rushed out to get some fresh air. The party had resumed inside and now, the great dinner with the King and the prince will be held. But just at the thought of me sitting on the same table as him, made my stomach churn and I knew I wouldn't be able to take even a single morsel inside.

I sat on a gilded bench in the royal garden once I exited the palace, the night air calming my head. I could hear the faint shouts of the citizens of the country who had been waiting to catch a glimpse of their prince since hours. Hearing them cheer up for nothing made me even more uneasy. I tried to drown out their excitement and focus on something else, but I was failing miserably.

My head felt heavy with all the weight I had to carry – physical and otherwise. Feeling bitter about the whole night, I pulled out my wig in frustration. I shouldn't have ever listened to Lisa. She was in there enjoying herself while I was cursing my entire existence. I was long gone in my agony and misery to have realised that someone else – anyone could have seen me in my real hair, and this is exactly what happened.

"There you are!"

'Oh no....!!!'