Chapter 51: Presumed scandal

Začít od začátku

"You think I am not scared?"

"Why should you be? You're a bloody prince for gods sake." She replied.

"What are you implying, Em?"

"Nothing, I...I was out of line. I should be thanking you for doing this for me."

"Thank me once we succeed, Em."

"Alright. I will."

"Now sit tight."

"I am."

He sighed but said nothing. So she kept her mouth shut as well. They have been on this empty room while Evangeline was away. They had vacated the previous room where Stanley had currently occupied. Alexi promised he had his men watching Stanley and he also swore not to have him killed. Though the latter was forcibly and explicitly not what he wanted.

She prayed Evangeline would come in time because she wouldn't have any excuse to tell Lucille.

They suddenly heard footsteps outside the door and almost immediately, Alexi jumped right at her and had pushed her against the wall. She opened her mouth to speak but the intruder beat her to it. A squeak merely escaped her.

"Who goes there?" Asked the voice.

Em stiffened. But the room was dark and Alexi was right in front of her, he quickly moved and with his left arm shielding her figure, she was quite hidden on his back.

"Alexi? What is the meaning of this?"

He kept Emelia up against the wall while also keeping her face out of the intruder's view. He towered at her by a good one foot and the only light coming into the room was from the crack of the door. Alexi moved his faced caught Em's eyes and told her to stay put. He then carefully turned his head so see who had came upon them.

"Is that you...Davensport?" Alexi asked. The light was not enough to discern his features just yet.

"What?" Emelia whispered. "Which one?"

Alexi ignored her, "Would you mind closing the door and leave? I believe this does not concern you." Darn it. This was not the plan. His men should be guarding the door and not let anyone else in.

"Unfortunately, I am in need of a hiding place." He replied and closed the door. The room was dark once more. No one spoke until their eyes adjusted to darkness. "I will only stay for a spell, those gossipmongers are hounding me like crazy. Now pray tell, why would a prince such as yourself be in an empty room?"

Alexi tried to smile, "You caught me at a delicate situation, I'm afraid."

"Ohh..." his eyes caught a lighter clothing behind Alexi and with a few more blinks, he realized there was figure behind hiding behind the prince. Was that a woman? "Mayhap the lady can leave us men? I do have something to discuss anyways. We haven't had much time during the wedding."

"I'm afraid I cannot let her leave." Alexi replied.

"Whyever not?" He took one step closer and both Alexi and the figure behind him moved back, "Did you ruin her?" He whispered.

Em gasped but kept her place behind the prince. Alexi sighed, this was getting awkward. "I may have. Now, do you understand why she cannot leave?"

"You might as well let her leave. I will not tell a soul what I saw tonight. The hallway is empty, if she hurries back, she could flee back to the ballroom. Should anyone question our presence here we could always deny seeing her. It will be her word against ours and I am confident they shall not doubt us." He said nonchalantly and began to make his way towards the cabinet where the liquors were kept. With his back to them he continued, "If you cared for your reputation, you should not have followed a woman in an empty room."