Chapter Forty-Six: Father

It's deep in the night when we reach the palace. The throne room doors groan as they open, allowing Axellia and I inside. Ardan is only slightly behind us, Morcant and Rune filing behind him. Seana brings up the very rear, Dezden disguised as a palace servant at her side.

Two candelabras flank the thrones, giving off the only light in the room. Father is seated in his spot, slumped carelessly to one side. His gray hair looks more disheveled than usual, as if he'd been woken from a deep slumber to greet us. Durcardi's orange banners shine around him, bathing him in their maddeningly bright glow.

Mother is, per the usual, nowhere to be found.

     "What is the meaning of this?" Father snaps as we enter, leaning forward, clutching the arms of his throne. "Cai, Axellia, are you alright?"

     We nod.

I open my mouth to speak, but Ardan cuts in just before I do.

     "There have recently been a string of riots on the island of Draga," he explains. "I thought it best that Prince Cai and Princess Axellia be returned home until the chaos has settled."

     "And what is the meaning of that?!" Father thunders as he stands to his feet. "Why are there riots going about that are so dangerous that my children cannot attend the Academy?"

He points to Ardan. "Is it not your job to keep Cristabel Academy safe?"

     "It's not his fault," I cut in. "The riots are in the city, not at the school. He can-"

     "Then why is it unsafe for you to be at the Academy?" father asks, his eyes narrowing at me.

     I swallow, trying in vain to loosen my tight throat. "It's just a precaution."

     "So there are traitors and radicals afoot? I knew it!" he throws his hands in the air. "There are plots against my kingdom, my line, and you-" he points back to Ardan. "Have not been thorough in apprehending them!"

     "There's no plot," I interject again. "Some people are just angry, that's all."

     "Angry at what?" father whirls back to me.

     My skin crawls as I answer. "Your decree."

     "Which one?" Father crosses his arms.

    There's more than one? I try not to worry too much as I reply once more: "To keep occupying Omniphilo."

     "Well," father chuckles. "They'll just have to be angry, now, won't they?" He turns and sits back down on his throne.

"Father!" I exclaim.

"It's not my fault the entire Omniphilo government is full of plotter and schemers-"

     Out of the corner of my eye I can see Morcant and Rune tensing. Father senses it too, and jumps back to his feet, racing towards them.

     "Well, why are you frowning at me? I gave you chances to clean up your act, but the more I try to clean up your kingdom, the more unruly you infidels become!"

     They both scowl at him, but say nothing. I stand stunned. I always knew Father wasn't fond of elves, but this?

     "At least I haven't wiped you all off the face of the earth. It's what I ought to do. But I've been merciful on you. Been merciful on her-"

     He points to Seana. "I could have killed her or sent her to Neohem with her parents, but I've let her live and-"

     "So you can torture her parents for a crime they did not commit!" Morcant shouts.