Chapter Nine: The Roommate

"All male human students line-up here!" one of the many shouting voices instructs as we reach the main island of the academy. I step off the bridge and look about. Two watchtowers stand on either side of me, a shimmering and open gate into the academy. Gryphons, some carrying older students on their backs, fly and crawl over the towers. They watch us with slitted yellow eyes, taking in every small detail of the new arrivals with their magic. Despite being watched by a group of beings that can see all, I don't feel violated or threatened but rather protected as I quietly line up behind all the other human boys.

"Alright, follow me," the voice from before calls. I walk along with the other human boys down a cobblestone pathway. Lining the pathway are stone gazebos, cracked and ivy-ridden by age, each with twisted and curved metal frames as roofs. Every now and then a piece of colored glass shimmers amongst black curves and lines. All of the roofs were probably stained-glass masterpieces at one point in time. Over the years, though, the glass has fallen out until only a few splotches of color are left. I squint and try to imagine what the gazebos must have looked like when they were first made.

We reach a bubbling moat with an arching stone bridge crossing it. We are about to cross it when our line is completely broken and pushed aside by a line of male giants. One of them throws an apple core over his shoulder, hitting a boy in front of me.

"Hey!" I shout, only to have several of the giant boys snicker and scoff at me. I want to retaliate, but they cross over the bridge before I can do or say anything. Once they have all shuffled by, my group crosses over the moat and continues towards the main building of the academy. It's about the same size as the main building of the palace at home, but left in the open with no constricting walls it seems so much larger. It's made of the same glistening white marble that the watchtowers were. There's a huge colonnade at the front, with decorative arches and columns framing it.

We climb up the massive steps to the colonnade, pushing past silky golden and crimson curtains that hang from the arches and billow lazily in the wind. Several desks line the space in front of massive, arching doors. Each desk has either a man or woman from one of the kingdoms seated at it, scribbling onto scrolls. Standing behind them are several young adults, older students I assume. As the teachers or staff scratch words onto the scrolls, the students fetch keys off a makeshift wall behind the desks and call out:

"Building 8, Room 6 is full."

"Building 10, Room 20 full."

I get so caught up in the sights I fall out of line. As I search about for the desk with a human man seated at it, I notice that there is no representative for the giant girls. Glancing about I realize there are no girl giants to be found anywhere amongst the crowd. On top of that, there are very few Kitsune, Merfolk, and Fairies in comparison to all the Elves, Giants, Dwarves, and Humans. While all the lines for the kingdoms in Benedomin stretch as far as the stairs, those from Peleacu only have five or six lined in front of their desks at a time.

"Odd," I mumble as I finally spot the male human desk and step in line.

I look around some more, fascinated by the hustle and bustle of the place. The roof of the colonnade is painted with scenes of battles, court disputes, balls, and speeches. No doubt these are the records of some former students' achievements. I recognize one as being a scene from the Fairy Civil War, though I can't remember which battle in particular. As I wrack my brain for answers I begin to have the strangest feeling that someone is watching me. I turn and notice that all the other human boys are staring at me.

"Erm...afternoon," I wave uncomfortably.

They all look to each other, whispering amongst themselves, stepping away from me like I'll bite them or something.