Chapter Four: 12 Years Later

Chapter Four: Twelve Years Later

I know I should probably go back to sleep. I have another long day of lessons, tests, training, visitors, and other princely duties ahead of me. I'm still too shaken by The Nightmare to sleep, though. So here I am, sketching all over the dull map in front of me.

Well, at least it used to be dull; nothing more than three grey continents floating in a blank ocean. Over the course of this year, though, I had slowly filled the empty spaces with sketches of various people, buildings, and scenery. Copies of pictures from other books and paintings as I've never had the opportunity to see anything residing outside of New Capital.

I tap my pencil on my desk as I think. Of the seven kingdoms Xenovol is probably the one I know the least about. I have no idea what designs they normally use on their clothes, which is making it a bit difficult for me to decide how to color the fairy I'd sketched along the Xanavi border.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

I jump at the pounding on my door. I cautiously close my history book, trying to not make any noise so that I don't wake Vilda as I make my way to the door. I open it, ready to shush whoever's there, but stop when I see a page boy, about ten years of age, dressed in an orange smock and hat. He holds a sealed envelope out to me.

"A letter for His Royal Highness, Prince Cai," the boy says with a short bow.

I take it from him and nod back. "Thank you, kind sir."

The boy giggles, placing a hand to his mouth. "The prince called me sir!"

The two guards standing on either side of my bed-chamber doors chuckle along with him. I can't help but smile at his giddiness as I step back into my bed chambers and look at the envelope.

I have to squint through the hazy, early morning darkness to see the seal pressed into the blue wax. It's a picture of an elf woman, a tall crown on her head. She holds a scepter and sword held in either hand, crossed in an "X" over her chest. My body tingles with excitement and nervousness as I rush back to my desk, tearing the envelope open. Using the light from my candles and the just now rising sun, I read:

"To his Royal Highness,

Crown Prince Cai Ephriam Donar Gesamere,

Son of King Donar and Queen Idnania of Durcardi,

Future heir to the throne,

Allow me to first say that I am most impressed and pleasantly surprised that you would be so concerned with the future and education of one of your servants. This Seana of yours is most welcomed to attend Cristabel Academy along with you and your sister.

As for the fees and tuition payments, let us not concern ourselves with that for now. As fortune would have it, Cristabel is a most popular establishment. Nobility from all over the world has given us several generous donations over the years. As a result, we have a surplus of currency that, therefore, allows a few, exceptional students who could otherwise not afford Cristabel Academy's fees, to attend for free on the condition they excel in their studies.

Having studied the samples you sent me, I believe that this Seana is more than capable of obtaining the marks needed to stay enrolled under such an agreement. Should things change then we may have to discuss payment arrangements. For now, however, I am looking forward to meeting the three of you in person next month.

Sincerely,

Headmaster Ardan Reiner of Cristabel Academy

P.S. Remember, as you said, this is our little secret."