Chapter 31

"This must have been so painful, you must tell me how you lost all that skin in the first place."

"I thought animals weren't allowed here." 

"No matter what you do or where you go you will soon realise that you are mine, Bone Breaker."

"The curly haired girl was tough. Never said a word even as she bled through her every orifice." 

I don't realise I am gasping till I bolt upright in bed and suck in the air around me desperately. My skin is cold and clammy, heart racing and body shaking from yet another nightmare of Lazarus. 

It has been two days on this planet since the invasion on Earth was announced and we have been preparing ever since. 

Today is the day we have all been waiting for and dreading at the same time. Today we leave for battle. 

I kick the sheets off my legs and stare around the empty room that is still bathed in darkness. Lucian must have left early, the sun hasn't even risen yet. 

I wash up and get ready, slipping on a breather suit, my army boots and then leaving the room. I am almost certain that many must be up already and the shinning lights from the main hall are confirmation enough. 

The luminescent yellow that glares at us from the ceilings above seem to be the only thing that brightens the atmosphere in the room. The hall is filled with aliens and some humans, some who are snarfing down their food greedily and others who pick at their plates not looking interested. 

I see Lucian sitting with General Lyra, Commander Rigel and a few other aliens who look like leaders of their own regimes. He notices me walking to the small table of food laid out for us and waves me over. 

I grab a plate and walk over to them. Both the commander's and the general's plates are filled to the brim but Lucian's is almost empty. 

"Pleasant day Generals, Commanders," I nod at everyone at the table, including the intimidating Reptile looking alien and a small refugee from Cixin. He smiles at me from underneath his mushroom like head in greeting. 

"Officer Aria, I hope you are well rested. We have a long few cycles ahead of us," General Lyra says chirpily, her smile a great contrast to the seriousness on Lucian's face. 

"We can only hope it will end in a few cycles," Lucian mutters and the general tuts in response. 

"Now is not the time for negativity or we may need another one of officer Aria's speeches." She smiles at me but I can't tell if it is a compliment or a jab at me.

"Join us," Lucian shifts to make space for me at an already crowded table and I quickly excuse myself politely after having spotted my friends at another table. 

I greet all the leaders once again before scuttling around a few tables till I reach Joon, Xari, Cat and Rachel. 

"Hey guys," I sit down quickly and place my plate down with a soft thud.

"Hey," Everyone mutters in a sombre chorus.

Joon looks like he didn't sleep at all last night, he keeps playing with his food and staring at his plate. My voice only distracts him briefly as he looks up at me and gives me a half smile. 

"When do your squads leave?" Xari asks Cat and Rachel who are part of the teams who are supposed to seek out and destroy the military bunkers that have been planted on Earth. 

At hearing this Rachel perks up and jumps in her chair, her enthusiasm a refreshing change to the dull morning.

"I have good news," She places her hands in front of her and crosses her fingers before clearing her throat.