Chapter 20

GUYSSS check out the Plutonian trailer above created by the seriously talented UranusO_O

"Aria, wait up!" Joon calls after me and I stop walking, falling behind the Plutonians who are heading back to the prayer room. 

General Lyra walks ahead swiftly, her gait filled with purpose and determination as she leads her team of devoted geniuses. 

The entire day has been filled with testing out the microfibre's adhesiveness, durability and most importantly the amount of time it can provide a rebel team to swoop in and destroy central command. 

I practiced running, jumping into water and was even hit with numerous gusts of artificial wind but the small piece of dust stuck onto me the whole time like glue. It also worked like magic.

We were able to block all surveillance and signals for the entire day which only proves that Commander Z's previous data was right - that the microfibre can operate for a maximum of twenty four hours. 

Meaning we have a twenty four hour window on Pluto. 

I tuck a lock of dark hair behind my ear and smile at Joon which causes him to raise his eyebrows. 

"For someone who's walking to their death, you seem pretty happy," He states and my smile turns upside down. 

"I wouldn't say I'm happy but I really, really want this to work, Joon," I look him in the eye, my gaze focused and determined. "I need this to work." 

"And suppose it does work and they do destroy the building, then what? What happens to you? Nobody has brought that up," Joon berates angrily. "It's the same as it was on Pluto. We're still the expendable ones."

I stop walking and place my hands on his shoulders.

"I chose to do this, Joon. It's not the same."

"I volunteered to be on the team that flies in," He says. "I'll come for you." 

I still momentarily, having not expected his involvement in tomorrow as well. 

I offer him a hopeful smile although a part of me has a hard time believing that a team will have enough time to save me and destroy Central Command.

"I'm coming too, minion," Remulus appears from behind, along with the rest of his squad. 

"You are?" I ask, my heart slowly swelling with appreciation. 

"Of course he is. He's been in charge of you since the beginning," Lucian snaps at me as he walks up to join us. 

I bite my lip as I take in his handsome face that is etched with anger. His statement brings me back to my first day after my induction as an army officer. Come to think of it, Remulus has in fact been by my side ever since. 

Memories of our first mission as a squad to Cixin flit through my mind and it brings a small smile to my face. 

"I'm coming too. My guns have been aching to be used," Catori chimes from afar. Luna and Rachel walk with her and they join us outside the prayer room.

My eyes flit from Joon's face to Remulus's, the rest of Lucian's squad and then Luna, Cat and Rachel. The sight of them here with me fills me with warmth even though Lucian's gaze is as cold as ice. 

"I would like a moment with our suicidal officer Aria," He mutters sarcastically and everyone slowly backs away. 

They walk towards the prayer room which is slowly filling up for our final briefing, before our mission tomorrow.