Chapter 24

The prison cell Lazarus has kept me in consists of a small square with four walls. There is no light, no leg space and no window even though I am somehow able to breathe despite the lack of ventilation.

It is spaces like these that make you a prisoner to your own thoughts and I am no exception. There is nothing on the plain dark walls to distract me. All I can think of is Lazarus's overbearing hatred for his childhood friend, Lucian. It reminds me of sibling jealousy only this has morphed into something much more sinister.

And it doesn't help that these two were next in line to take over command of the universe. Come to think of it, anyone watching closely could have anticipated the war we are currently going through. 

Another dark thought dances its way into my thoughts. The leadership for Pluto was already wrought with tension but I am the wedge who split up the empire. By escaping Pluto, I gave Lazarus the opportunity to do so.

I close my eyes but the darkness behind my eyelids is almost the same as when my eyes were open. I'm curled up in a corner, my back hunched over and aching from remaining in the same position the entire night.

I think about General Lyra or Commander Z or whoever S was who helped us escape Pluto during Lucian and Lazarus's final match. 

Lazarus was going to kill Lucian that night, or so I thought but after last night I'm not so sure. It appears Lazarus wants to keep Lucian for last, to make sure he suffers the most. 

I bite my lip knowing that thinking about the past will not help but I can't stop myself. I can't help but wonder if my actions that lead to this war was a good thing or if it was the ultimate mistake. 

Why did 'S' go through all that trouble to help us? The memory of all those explosions going off while we escaped the pits flits through my mind and I have never been more confused in my life. 

The sound of door hinges grating echoes in the distance and I instinctively stiffen. One of the walls in my cell slides open and my eyes squint at the light that shines on me. It makes my eyes water. 

A sturdy Plutonian hand grabs hold of my ankle and pulls me outside. The muscles in my back stretch out in relief and a few cracks reverberate through the air as I straighten up. 

I'm escorted out of the prison base by four towering Plutonians, each equipped with two laser guns attached to their hips as if I would be able to somehow overpower them. I don't recognise any of them and I follow silently as we walk to a glider with an attached cell by the back. 

A crowd of civilians form by the sidewalk, all of them watching me as they place me inside with my hands cuffed to the wall. The glider takes off and I look out the windows. A sinking feeling slowly builds in the pit of my stomach as I realise where we are heading.

We don't go through the city, instead the glider takes a less scenic route along the dull grey landscape around the North City and I see the tall towering confines of the Pits up ahead. The benches have been added on all around it, to fit in more spectators and I almost laugh in despair. 

How poetic that I should die at the place where everything started.

We stop by the entrance to the waiting rooms and I am escorted inside through a series of narrow, winding pathways. There are a few human fighters sitting in a few chambers and they stare at me with wide eyes, the recognition clear on their faces. 

They know who I am but the horror in their eyes confirms that they think I am the betrayer Lazarus has painted me out to be. 

I don't see anyone I recognise and for that I am almost thankful, that is until we finally stop in my holding room.