Chapter 11

I wake up to a slight headache and a blur of memories from last night. The waterfall, sinking into the darkness, being pulled out by Lucian. Him caressing my cheek, stroking my heart with his tender words.

It feels so unreal. Like I dreamed it but my soaked clothes in the corner of the room are all the proof I need.

I hug my knees to my chest and sigh loudly, wondering why the night and my dreams ended.

"Morning sleepy head." Cat has already rolled up her mattress and placed it by the wall. She's wearing the combat gear I saw her in the first time we met and I rub my tired eyes as I look at her.

How long has she been up?

"Here, " She dumps a small brown bag at my feet and it lands with a soft thud. "Remulus dropped off your old uniform."

My fingers graze the edges of the smooth canvas and then I pull out the familiar Plutonian soldier uniform that also acts as a breather suit.

I clutch the black material and trail the long blue lines by the sides. Despite hating the Plutonians, I can't deny that I have some good memories in this suit; my first mission to Cixin with Lucian and his squad, saving General Lyra from the serpents and our stolen moments together in the back room of Lucian's ship.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they kept one for me.

"We're meeting for breakfast and then heading to the Amazonian planet," Cat says. She puts a knife in each boot, a gun strapped to each ankle, tucks another one to her side, a machete on the other and hoists a big machine gun around her back.

I stare at the amount of weapons on her and she just smiles at me sheepishly.

"Can never be too careful," She shrugs. "I'll see you at the same tent as yesterday. Everyone's meeting there for a quick meal."

I watch her walk out and then proceed to get ready as well. I wash up with the bucket of water from the waterfall, brush my teeth and then I pull on my uniform. The moment I activate the suit, it shrinks in and hugs every inch of my skin, fitting me like a glove.

I tie my hair up in a ponytail and pull on my boots, making a mental note of the amount of time that has passed.

Not wanting to be late I rush to the curtain that forms our door and pull it open. I stop short when I see Cetus standing by the side with a tray of food in hand.

The tall blue skinned alien immediately straightens up when he sees me.

"Aria, you're late. Everyone has finished eating already." He steps in front of me, almost too close for comfort and I instinctively take a step back into the tent.

I frown at his words in confusion. I don't think I took that long.

"Commander Rigel asked me to bring you something to eat and then head to his ship." He holds out the tray of food towards me and I take it from him hesitantly.

I look down at the sandwich and drink and Cetus pushes me to sit down.

"You better eat fast. The Plutonian brigade is about to leave." There is an urgency to his tone that worries me but somehow something feels off.

I eye the Elcian who has his long pink hair tied up in a ponytail. He has two laser guns strapped to his sides whilst I have nothing.

I pick up the sandwich and smile at him gratefully. "Thanks but where are the others? Joon? Cat?"

"She's at the ship, gearing up." He eyes my movements like a hawk and his forehead creases when I don't take a bite.

I put the sandwich down and stand up abruptly. I try to make my way around him but his long body blocks my way out of the tent.