Chapter 28

The sound of insects buzzing in the distance wakes me from my stupor and I blink a few times, my eyelids heavy with sleep. The sunlight coming in from the window embraces me with its warmth, bright rays of orange kiss my cheeks comforting me in a way I can't explain.

The heat, the dull burning in my skin. It is the very opposite of Pluto and for some reason I am reminded of Earth and those brief moments I spent on my home planet before I was swept up in this war.

I sit up gingerly and the sheets that have been covering me fall to my sides. The side of my bed is empty, Lucian isn't here.

The shivering and dark thoughts are gone now, replaced with a dull throb in my leg and a newly burning hope that our future could be as bright as the sun shining through my window.

It is all I can hope for.

I get off the bed and walk to the bathroom, eager to wash the sweat and stale smell that clings to me. My hair is matted and sticky and my clothes reek of dried sweat. I fish around for a fresh pair of clothes and find a loose dress in one of the baskets.

It is neatly folded and smells good so I take it, hoping it's clean and shower till I am satisfied. I air dry, throw the thick material over myself, slip on my boots and then leave the room.

The floors are a dark wooden colour and they absorb my footsteps as I walk down the small hallway that houses rooms similar to mine on both sides. A dark red skinned alien sits by the door to the exit and she barely glances at me as I leave.

The overwhelming sunlight engulfs me whole the moment I step out on to the sandy brown grass but some how I don't care.

I stand still for a few seconds letting the blazing sun burn me down to my every memory of warmth.

A hug from my parents. A trip to the beach when we were kids. A kiss and caress from Lucian.

My smile widens and I stretch my hands out, palms facing upwards so that more of me is exposed. The burning continues almost to a point where it is painful and it is only then that I decide to walk across the grass to the building in front of me.

I hear voices behind the door and slowly nudge it open, hoping to see someone I know. There are numerous aliens and Plutonians sitting around the scattered tables, most of them eating while the rest talk to each other.

The sound of cutlery clanking and chairs being dragged across the floors fill the hall. Nobody notices the human peering at them.

I look around but don't see Lucian, my squad or my friends. A small bubble of panic builds in my chest but bursts immediately when I catch Joon at the opposite end of the hall. He is leaving the room through another door by the back and I rush along the walkway outside to meet him.

"Aria!" He exclaims in surprise when he sees me. His eyes crinkle in happiness when he smiles at me. "You look so much better."

"I'm feeling much better," I admit. "How long was I out for? Where is everyone else?"

"Everyone is evidently stuffing their faces inside," He points at the room he was just in. "You must be so hungry. You were out for so long."

"I was?" I exclaim in shock. It certainly didn't feel like that.

"Well you were kind of delirious the few times you were awake."

"What?" My eyes are wide with disbelief at his words.

"Yeah, I didn't get to see you much though. Commander Lucian was the one who fed you and cleaned you up as well as your dressing," He gestures at my bandaged foot which has almost healed. The medicine they used was miraculous. It doesn't even feel like Lazarus ever broke it.