𝙵𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚢 𝚃𝚠𝚘

Fifty Two

+ + +

NAOMI DIDN'T KNOW HOW SHE got there. She was told they would never be able to return. The town was destroyed with Pan's curse. It did not exist anymore. But here she was, lying awake in her bed, staring up at the ceiling of her studio apartment.

She was told it didn't exist, but here she was. Everything was put together, just as ever before. So clearly it was still in existence. 

It was like waking up from one long, ten month dream. 

The only reason she knew that was the date on her phone. Ten months had passed from the last time she fell asleep to now. Ten months? She was ten months older. By the date shown on her phone, her nineteenth birthday was in weeks. 

Traffic zoomed along just outside of her window. Nothing had ever changed. So clearly, Regina was wrong about the nature of the curse. Storybrooke was still standing, as where they. No problem. 

Well, one problem. One tiny problem. 

Ten months had passed. She was ten months older. Ten months of time could hold millions of memories. So many new experiences and interesting conversations; new friends or foes. People were sure to have memorable moments over that span of time. 

So where were they? 

Why couldn't she remember getting a new job, or shopping for new clothes, or possible dates she could have been on? None of it was there. Common sense told her something had to be there. She hadn't been in a coma. 

A missing year was what it was. One year of memories wiped clean from her brain. 

Her first phone call was to Snow, now Mary Margaret. It picked up on the second ring. 

"Naomi? Oh my god! You have no idea how good it is to know you're here! We were just about to call ourselves," Mary Margaret answered. She sounded tired. Naomi could hear it in her voice. 

"Yeah yeah, hi. What the hell happened?" Naomi shouted into the receiver. "Please tell me I'm not insane. This town isn't supposed to exist. Why am I here? Did I get sick and go comatose? Was I imagining the last 19 physical years of my life? Are we in an alternate reality? What?"

Silence on the other end of the line. Naomi had finally done it. She finally scared Mary Margaret away. 

David spoke next. "We're just as confused as you are. How about you come by for lunch? There's something we... um, we just want you to be the first to see it. Tell us what you think," he suggested.