Chapter 109

You were walking back to the medical room on the ship—you discovered that Ven took you to Terra’s room to keep you away from unwanted visitors while you rested—to figure out what had happened, since neither of you knew.

Ven led you down the stairs and to the med room by the hand, his fingers loosely holding yours, little strength in his grip. As you rounded the corner and entered the room, you saw that Sora was in Riku’s bed with Aqua over him, a healing hand resting on his forehead. Lavi was standing behind her with Terra, and Riku and Ichigo were sitting on Ichigo’s bed, watching quietly, occasionally whispering to each other.

“How is he?” Ven asked, kneeling on the opposite side of the bed, looking at his little brother take in pained breaths.

“I’m trying my best, but there are some preexisting injuries that I don’t know how to fix.” She explained.

“He hurt his head during a fight last year, you just have to—” He looked up and saw her smiling compassionately at him, her eyes glittering with happiness. This was the first time he had spoken to her in a very long time. He dropped his eyes from her and knocked her hands away rather coldly, and said “Nevermind, I’ll do it myself.”

Her expression dropped to a much sadder one as she sighed, then stood up. You had walked over to Lavi, and she turned to you, putting a hand on your cheek. You could feel gentle tingles coming from her hand as she checked over you for injuries. She let out a relived breath and pulled her hand away, “He did a good job…thank goodness.” She then pulled you into a hug, genuinely concerned for you.

“Everything alright?” Lavi asked, and you pulled away, thinking he was talking to you, but you saw him staring intently at Ven.

Ven didn’t answer him, he kept his eye downcast as he focused on his work. His glasses slid down his nose and he roughly pushed them back into place with the back of his wrist, irritated by the distraction. He was focusing much harder than you thought he would need to. He was able to fix you up after breaking just about every bone you had in your legs without so much as breaking a sweat, but he seemed to be breathing heavily as he brought Sora back to consciousness.

You could hear Riku murmur something to Ichigo, who nodded, and you pulled on Lavi’s sleeve as to catch his attention without letting Ven see. When he noticed your tugging, he looked over to you and you looked him in the eye, shot a glance at Ven, then brought your eyes back to his, silently asking what he was on about. Lavi dropped his eyes down to your hand, and you followed his gaze. When he saw you looking down at both of your hands, he twitched a finger, and you looked over at Ven. Lavi was right; his hands were shaking as the hovered of Sora.

Terra saw your exchange with Lavi and noticed Ven’s shaking too. “Ventus…” he began, knowing that Ven wouldn’t want to speak with him either.

“It’s fine.” He said through his teeth.

You sighed and walked over to join Ichigo and Riku, sitting between them.

As you settled in, Lulu walked into the room, and Sora woke up. He glanced around, settling back into reality, and looked up at all the faces around him.

“What happened?” He asked, befuddled.

“You hit your head.” Aqua said soothingly, trying to calm him.

“He didn’t hit his head, his head was smashed in the wall.” You corrected, asking, “What really happened?”

To put it simply Lavi said, “We’re thinking that when you woke Ven up, you woke something else up with him.”