Annual craziness

"Holy moly. How the fuck do you have that body when eating is all that you can do!"

"Because your mom wasn't super model Selena, babe." I admit to Nola.

Selena has always been a rising star. And she rose so far that she got too close to the sun and fell down into that old grey grave. Period.

She's an iconic figure in Winslow. I hate it.

"You look beautiful Nova."
"Oh shut up. Stop lying."

"I'm not lying!"
I turn around to show her my back and bend over a little bit.

"Say that to my ass, bitch."

I was shocked when she slapped it. Literally.
"Soft. I like it."

I want to choke right now. What did she sayyy?
Fortunately the doorbell ring but the lump in my throat and wide eyed didn't disappear yet.

"Damn Nova. You looking fine!"
Rey shouts. Making me deaf.

"Thanks or whatever. Let's just go."

I push him out of the door with all of my force. The awkwardness in the atmosphere was getting too intense for my liking.

"What's the worry dude?"
I roll my eyes. I have to stick with this person..

All night.

"Nothing. You look good too by the way."
Not as good as Aziel tho. That man be looking beautiful with no absolute effort.

I can see I boosted Rey's confidence as he accepted the compliment with a sly smile.

"So..here are the rules."
"Rules?"
"Yes, rules."

I show him my hand and count all of them. Putting one by one down as I explain:

"First of all, don't leave my side. Second of all, avoid strangers. Third of all, avoid my dad. If we happen to see him then you'll have to, this is number 4, avoid eye contact and not speak at all. For number 5, hold me back if I lose control because I'm angry, alright?"

Rey nods at all of them as he sarcastically adds:
"Anything more?"

I lean my back into the comfortable seat.
"Yeah. You're getting me all the food."

He chuckles as I smile. Closing my eyes. Imaging the multiple ways this evening can go.

I'll face him. Obviously. Even though I don't want to admit it. He'll introduce me.

"Will your dad be there?" I ask with still closed eyes. However I open them after Rey didn't answer for a couple minutes.

He is playing with his fingers and I just know his hands are sweating right now. Why?

"My dad quit his job."

Suddenly I'm wide awake.
"What? Why?"

"I guess...he couldn't live with the fact your dad basically blackmailed me..."
I unintentionally laugh.

"Sounds like dad."
That sly son of a bitch.

"We're here." George announces. Even though he never drives with a limo. He did very well today. "Thanks George!"

I turn Rey:
"You ready?"

He slowly nods. Oh this is not some normal evening. This is some crazy rich Asians shit.

Real crazy.

As soon as I step out the flashes blind me. All of Winslow's reporters are gathered here.

Acting Nova coming in...3...2...1
"So nice to see you all!"

Rey eventually finds his way next to me and we link our arms. I wish it was Aziel. Now.

"Miss Maes. Is that your boyfriend?!"
I laugh at the silly question.

"No we're just friends."

A loud sigh comes out of Rey's mouth. Oh no. This ain't some Adrien from miraculous type of shit. We really are just friends. Purr.

"Is it true you take the bus?!"

Oh. They figured it out. Those stupid drivers. I resist the urge to roll my eyes and smile even brighter:

"I'd love to chat but we need to enter. Bye!"

I pull Rey with me and we go down the red carpet. Other couples arriving behind us.
"Invitation please."

The man's head was facing the floor. I just waited until he looked at me.

"I said invitation ple-"

He honestly looked like he regretted his whole existence at this point. Scared for his job.

"Miss Maes I'm so sorry I-"
I raise my hand to stop his apology.

"It's okay. Can we enter?"

He opens the entryway by unhooking the red cord and lets us pass. Bowing deeply.

What people do when they know your name.
*insterts rolling eyes here*

"What in the Jesus-?"

Rey's jaw literally drops to the floor when he sees the whole avenue before him.
"Welcome to the annual craziness."

Ir really is craziness. They spent millions of dollars to create this avenue every year. Just imagine how many people we could help with that money. The stupid rich.

"Come on, we can't stay here long."

We flash to the end of the stairs. Quietly hoping no one saw us.

"Is that Elijah Roden?! The basketball player?!"
"Yeah. I met him when I was 5. Great guy."

I inform. Rey looks at me shockingly and I look back at him.

"What?"
"I want to go say hi!"

I pull the already moving guys back.
"No. You're not going to Elijah."

"He met you when you were 5, right?"
I nod at the straight up fact. Rey tightens our hold.

"Then let's see if he remembers you now."

Rey starts pulling my sore arm with him through the storm of people. But someone else pulls my left one.

"Nova!"

Oh no. Dear God. Not this woman.
"Oh I missed my little darling so much!"

I bet you did. Aunt Felicia.